2006 Ford Explorer XLT Loud Engine Noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Ford Explorer XLT Loud Engine Noise

x5h21q2

Reaction score
City, State
Bucks, Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi all!

Murphy's law strikes again! I bought a 06' Ex on the 17th after test driving it three or four times. I never noticed this noise but not that I have been driving it a lot I now can't not notice it. Often, but not all the time when I am at a complete stop and start to get up to speed the engine noise is incredibly loud. It almost sounds like a bus getting up to speed and people tend to look to see whats coming when I drove through the city.

It also seems like the RPM's are having a hard time coming back down. Seems to stay around 2500 and then will eventually make its way to 1500 where I believe it is supposed to be.

I made an attempt to take a recording of what it sounds like here.

Any help is appreciated! Anyone have any ideas?
Steven

EDIT:
Seems to be very similar to this:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242607&highlight=loud+engine

I am getting an oil change on it today will have them replace air filter and make sure it is secured?

DCheck your water level in ur radiator reserve ..u prolly have the famous radiator leak and ur truck is keeping the fan clutch in gaged to try and cool the engine

I just brought it to get checked out. They said the coolant / anitfreeze was low however there was no sign of a leak. He recommended they flush it and refill it which they did. The sound completely went away! I just hope there is no leak and that my car is not famous, haha.
Thanks a lot!
Steven

make sure on the right side of the radiator, on the ac line the switch is plugged in.

if coolant is full, you are hearing normal fan clutch working.

Back