2006 limited towing: want to upgrade | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!
    If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

2006 limited towing: want to upgrade

I just got a 2006 limited, v8, "class II" towing package.(I assume it isn't the complete "class III" package, since it does have the class 2 hitch and 4 pin flat wiring) I want to tow my travel trailer, so I need to upgrade. I know I need to install a class 3 hitch below the stock one, and I have a brake controller (not installed yet) and found the plug under the dash. The problem is out back. How do I get the 4 pin converted to 7 pin round? Obviously, the brake lights are there, but I need the wires for the 12V trailer battery and brake output from the controller. Under the hood, the relay and fuse are installed for the trailer brakes, but I just can't seem to find the wires out back. Where are they? Anyone successfully pull this off? Thanks for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

jrford

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Birmingham, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'10 Sport Trac
i'm not sure about the '06 but on my '04 the harness plug is under the right rear tail light. To really get to it the bumper cover has to come off. All the wires should be there for the 7-pin, actually if you can find the 7-pin harness it plugs right in.
up to '04 the hitch was a bolt on, and the one i picked up came with the 7-pin harness.

monty73741

Reaction score
City, State
BALTIMORE, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 xls

thebrakeman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Canton, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Mercury Mountaineer
Wow thanks for that...bringing back a 3 YR OLD POST! :banghead:
Don't get too excited. They're new the site (19 posts) and likely searching for things that interest them (including old posts). Dates are easy to overlook when you do a search.

smoothmove

Reaction score
City, State
nanaimo
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 explorer
Hello!
Any thing to watch out for when installing a class 3 hitch my self? thank you