2006 mustang CD player into 95 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 mustang CD player into 95 explorer

92lxsleeper

Reaction score
how hard would it be to put a Radio/CD player (6 disk version) from a 2006 mustang GT into my 1995 ford explorer. both are double din.

please respond asap! thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how hard would it be to put a Radio/CD player (6 disk version) from a 2006 mustang GT into my 1995 ford explorer. both are double din.

please respond asap! thanks

i would think it would require basic soldering/wiring skills. shouldn't be to difficult, just the matter of getting all the signals to and from it. i'd just make sure the depth of it will fit.

I'm not sure it'll be that easy. the 06 mustang uses CAN BUS for much of the controls in the car.

To give an example.. A cheap IPOD adapter connected to the back of the Shaker 1000 6 disc chander can actually cause issues with the CEL. Its amazing what interacts with what on the new cars.

~Mark

Maniak is correct...you have CAN bus issues. You would be better off getting a radio from a 2003-2004 vehicle that is not CAN bus...such as a Mustang or Explorer. You want to look for one that snaps in...not bolts in. Although that could possibly be worked around...but not easily. 6 disk units up to 2003 (depending on vehicle) had a CD button on the lower left and usually took World Plugs. In 2004, that became a SAT button (the radio is satellite ready) and Ford switched to Phase II plugs. An adapter can be built to adapt to different plugs if you have the patience. None exist that I know of...I've had to build my own. But do some looking on ebay. There are a ton of Ford radios that will work. Do your homework.

But if you have the JBL system in your 1995, all bets are off. Your radio is actually back by your subwoofer and your dash unit is nothing more than a control unit.

i don't have a fancy stereo in my explorer lol. it is wired for an amp. and has a factory amp. and MTX speakers all around, but no head unit. this explorer did not come with a 6 disk changer either (wish it did)

Back