2006 mustang GT 18" premium wheels on 2nd gen Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 mustang GT 18" premium wheels on 2nd gen Explorer

Okay

So I've got a 97' 4 door explorer XLT, 5.0, stock suspension other then lowering. 2" block out back and torsion bolts lowered up front.

A friend threw me some 2006 mustang gt 18" premium wheels and said if you can get em' to fit you can have em. I've tried one on the front and then center piece on the hub is not letting the rim sit all the way flat against the actual hub itself. Also there is no clearance to the tie rod bolt on the inside of the rim (I think, didn't look really to see what was hitting, tried this late at night also). From where the rim sit it is also about half an inch to an inch inside the fender.

What would it take to get these to bolt up right?

here is a photo of the wheels I have
CIMG0996.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Spacers not sure how big, 1 or 1.5 inch.

yeah you need a spacer, or a newer explorer:D

@ J Train, thanks I figured it was just a spacer, guess I'll calculate distance tomorrow morning.

@Stic-O, I would...but...I'm to deep in to audio build/repair on other stuff to sell right now.

Oh ya, and on lowering, I'm 2" out back which is fine (after the other 600lbs of audio added it drops more...)
How to get more out the front? I've adjusted the torsion bolts (the small one you just back out with a socket...) a decent bit...I nearly sit level but I need more out front...any suggestions?

Truck is in really really good shape for a 97 with 211k on the clock, only thing wrong at the moment is an oil leak at the filter

New plugs and wires (motorcraft)
Full front suspension (upper and lows ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, sway bar links)

Build is...
Eclipse CD7200MKII headunit
custom carputer (built by me)
10.4" touchscreen in dash
(4) sets of kenwood KFC-709PS comps
(1) pair of kenwood T-207 tweets in pillars
Custom fiberglass doors and kick panels and a-pillars
(2) sundown 100.4's
(1) sundown 125.2
(1) Cadence ZRS9kd at .5 ohm (roughly 7krms with electrical...)(possibly 2 sundown 4500 later...)
(4) RD alpha 15's with PSI soft parts
13^3ft box tuned at 36hz
250 amp alt (for now...dual alt bracket is expensive...)
Kinetik hc2000 under hood, 4 shuriken bt60's out back
150ft of 0/1 wire
Big 3 upgraded in 0/1
125^2ft of fat mat sound deadener
8+ cans of expandable foam
Interior converted two tone (Champagne and black vinyl)

uhhhhm i think thats all.

I would put the torsion bar bolts back where they were and flip the torsion bar key upside down, but make sure you drill i dimple in the side that will be facing the bolt then put it back up and see if it drops it where you want it. that is usually a 2 inch drop with out having to let the bolt down.

I would put the torsion bar bolts back where they were and flip the torsion bar key upside down, but make sure you drill i dimple in the side that will be facing the bolt then put it back up and see if it drops it where you want it. that is usually a 2 inch drop with out having to let the bolt down.

How much of a dimple we talkin? just enough for the groove of the torsion bar to fit in?
I guess I'll understand more once I take a look at the key and get a good look at it.

no for the bolt not bar... theres a thread about it on here if i find I'll post a link

Thanks man, I got the truck on the floor jack right now looking at it and I see what your talking about, thanks for all the help!

oh and im not sure how you loosened the bolt but its easier if theres no weight on the front suspension, but im sure you know that.

oh and im not sure how you loosened the bolt but its easier if theres no weight on the front suspension, but im sure you know that.

lol ya

right now my torsion bolts are out all the way, so only way to get more out of it is to flip the keys. Gonna see if one of my buddies has a gear puller so I can get the keys out.

I sit pretty even right now, but once that extra weight is in the back end I'm higher up front. From the ground the edge of the fender on both sides I'm at 29.5" on the front, looking to sit around 28ish

yeah once you flip the keys you may need to put the bolt back in then run it up some... but drive it and let it settle for a bout 10 minutes to get an accurate measurement

Back