• Register Today It's free!

2006 Towing Question

Packmun

Reaction score
City, State
Muncie, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer XLT
I am wanting to utilize our 2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4X4, 4.0 vehicle to pull a 20 ft trailer and am looking for advice. I plan to add the class 3 hitch and also a trans cooler. The camper in question has GVWR 4660 lbs, Dry Weight of 3290 lbs and Hitch wgt of 460 lbs. I also plan to add the weight distributing bar.
I have been asking and looking online to determine if this is something we can pull without causing damage to my vehicle. Does anyone have advice on this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you need to add class 3 hitch, it means that your model has class 2 and is rated for 3500 lbs, with just you in the car. You add your family and gear and the max trailer weight drops to below 3000.
I would not recommend pulling that camper.

I pull a 3,000 ish pound camper with my 2006 4.0 V6 NON tow package explorer. I added the 2 inch class 3 hitch, and I wouldn’t recommend towing much more, particularly if u have a few passengers, luggage, food, and beer

I pull a 3,000 ish pound camper with my 2006 4.0 V6 NON tow package explorer. I added the 2 inch class 3 hitch, and I wouldn’t recommend towing much more, particularly if u have a few passengers, luggage, food, and beer
recommend less passengers more beer

A862C071-4581-4751-BBAA-E839D90E72BB.jpeg

Michael, my friend has the exact trailer you have & used to tow it with a Ford Windstar for years. I used to have a hybrid that I used to tow with a '04 with the 4.0. I too had added a 2" hitch. I didn't tow very far with it, but you could tell it was back there.
Now I have a 24 foot trailer and have a '08 with a 4.6 with tow package. tows like a dream!!
Packmun, to answer your question, that might be too much to haul...

Do you think I would be ok with something like the R-Vision Trail Lite Bantam 17 ft. ?

It comes up with about 2500 lbs weight so definitely more suited choice since you need to leave the room for beer :).
We have 2 Explorers as you can see in my sig. I towed an enclosed 6x12 utility trailer weighing about 3000 with the v6 model and no tow package and it did very well, no big issues.
The v8 does heavier tasks.

I love this camper, except for the tiny ass bathroom! And tiny refrigerator. In the winter, if it’s just me and one other person we don’t open up either tent bed and it stays quite warm inside. The heater works much harder with the canvas tent to beds open in the winter.

70809783-0E6D-40A4-9DEF-A4B3D41C62C6.png
Camping On the beach at Assateague State Park in Maryland

Nice size camper ...that's what I am going to shoot for ... do you utilize a weight distributing hitch as well?

The box is only 13 feet long by 7 feet wide, but With both tent beds extended, it spans about 22 feet from tip to tip. No weight distribution is needed with this as it only has about 350 pounds of tongue weight. I do run a $40 friction sway control which definitely helps at high-speed

You have been very helpful and I appreciate your info. I will definitely be looking for a small hybrid and with the modifications you have suggestions I think I can make it work. I actually have sold my wife on the hybrid design ...thanks again.

You have been very helpful and I appreciate your info. I will definitely be looking for a small hybrid and with the modifications you have suggestions I think I can make it work. I actually have sold my wife on the hybrid design ...is there anything special I have to do for the braking system?

Back