2006, V6, Coolant Temperature Sensor Gasket/O-ring | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006, V6, Coolant Temperature Sensor Gasket/O-ring

FixingDaily

Reaction score
City, State
Boise, Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer XLT
While changing the Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor (and removing the air intake manifold), I observed that the coolant temperature sensor on the Thermostat Housing was weeping/seeping coolant. From a YouTube video I watched, it appears that a common problem with that sensor is the Gasket/O-Ring fails and needs replaced (which the video poster did and it solved the issue). He did not however post info on getting a replacement Gasket/O-Ring.

Do any of you fine members of this forum have a recommendation for how to obtain a replacement (short of purchasing a brand new sensor)?

Thank you in advance for your good words,

Best Regards,

John O

Here is a website that sells them I could not find a part number or size for you to look for at your local parts store. If you need it today then a new temperature sensor is your quickest way and looking you can get a new one for under $30.

Temp sensor o-rings (SA5)
I will try and keep looking for a size
Hopefully that helps.

Edit well I found a napa part number on another fourm for a older ford ranger v6 but it should be the same. The number is #407105. Also on that fourm he took his old o ring to napa and they matched it up with that one. That could be an option for you and if you get a number or size please post it here.

Here is a website that sells them I could not find a part number or size for you to look for at your local parts store. If you need it today then a new temperature sensor is your quickest way and looking you can get a new one for under $30.

Temp sensor o-rings (SA5)
I will try and keep looking for a size
Hopefully that helps.

Edit well I found a napa part number on another fourm for a older ford ranger v6 but it should be the same. The number is #407105. Also on that fourm he took his old o ring to napa and they matched it up with that one. That could be an option for you and if you get a number or size please post it here.

RCFlyer330,

Thank you for the info!!!!

Also, I did some additional searching and found that FordTechMakuloco on YouTube ( ) is recommending an O-ring that is 9MM ID and 2.5 MM thick. He indicates that the material should be Viton. A commenter on the same video recommends the Advance Auto Parts O-Ring #24628. It's link is https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...old-by-each-24628/18890505-P?searchTerm=24628 . Depending on what part of the page you read, it is either a rubber o-ring, or it is made of HNBR (is this rubber?). It's measurements indicate 0.362 ID and 0.103 OD (which has to be wrong). Anyway, the Advance Auto Parts price is $0.69 so I am going to pick that up. I compared it to the Napa part and they appear virtually identical in appearance and slightly different in size spec. The Napa part is a whopping $0.70.

If either work, its much less expensive than a new sensor!

Thanks again,

John O

I am glad you found fordtechmakuloco with the size. funny thing is i watch him all the time and didn't even think to check his videos.

Back