• Register Today It's free!

2006 V6 Went Boom (please help)

reef

Reaction score
City, State
Valdosta, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer
Okay so my 2006 explorer v6 xlt was fine. My dad hit a deer a while back when it was his but all that's been replaced except he said my radiator was cracked so keep up with your coolant every month or two. So I've been driving it around fine, no problems. Even some light to heavy mudding but nothing ever happened. So recently it's picked up a lot, like within the last week and a half I'm talking every 2 days it'll suck up an entire bottle of coolant. But here's where it's weird, I don't have to go long distances almost ever, but sometimes my coolant will be boiling after 5 miles. I've inspected the radiator thoroughly, no cracks or leaks like I suspected. Anyway last night I was coming home from work and my temp gauge I notice was about 3/4 of the way up so I just slowed down as slow as possible but within about 30 seconds it was in the red. So immediately I let off the gas and coast off the road then BOOM. I jump out and pop the hood and there's steam everywhere blowing out of my engine bay and my radiator cap was blasted to hell. My coolant was boiling through the lines and everywhere else. Also dead center into engine bay down under the engine cover I could see coolant just spraying everywhere like a fire hose. I can't see exactly where it's coming from but I'm starting to think I may have a bigger issues. I'm thinking water pump hopefully for right now, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Back