2006 XLT Front Strut lower flag nut | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 XLT Front Strut lower flag nut

Scorpion8

Reaction score
City, State
SouthEast Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT
Was changing front struts today and one side (the first side I was working on) the lower strut flag nut broke it's welds to the "flag" so the nut just spins. The other side came off nice and easy, albeit I think these are original struts from waaaaaaaaaaay back. So any idea what size the nut is on that flag nut? Silly me didn't measure it when I had the other side off, except to know that it didn't fit my 24mm combination wrench. 25mm? 26mm?

When I can get it off, I'll have it re-welded to the flag.

At least I got all the nuts (3x top 13mm and the knuckle ball joint and sway bar top nut) sprayed/soaked with PB Blaster, broken loose and re-tightened until I can get to the bottom bolt.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nobody?

It's actually Ford flag nut W710747-S436. Dunno what size, but I ordered a new one off a Ford dealership.

No idea about wrench size ...never used 25 or 26 mm wrenches in this vehicle..maybe 29mm or 27mm?

What about using vise grips?

Yea, one of those "gotta crawl under the car again" things. It was just a smidge too big for my 24mm combination wrench, and you can't get a socket in there. I ordered new lower strut bolts and flag nuts, because if a 1" wrench (next size larger that I have over 24mm) doesn't do it, and my largest vise-grips don't hold it, then I'll have to cut that old bolt out with a Sawzall.

The nut portion of the flag nut is a "loose" 27mm (it isn't a perfect fit, a tad loose) or perhaps 1-1/16. Anyway I was able to get my largest vise-grips on it, and get the shock bolt screwed out. Took it to one place to see if they could reweld it (closed) and NAPA to see if they had a replacement (kid didn't have a clue what a captive flag nut was) so no joy today. I did get the entire new strut replaced except there's an alignment drift pin in the lower bolt hole. All I need is the new bolt (ordered) and flag nut (ordered).

Hurry up and wait on parts.

The nut portion of the flag nut is a "loose" 27mm (it isn't a perfect fit, a tad loose) or perhaps 1-1/16. Anyway I was able to get my largest vise-grips on it, and get the shock bolt screwed out. Took it to one place to see if they could reweld it (closed) and NAPA to see if they had a replacement (kid didn't have a clue what a captive flag nut was) so no joy today. I did get the entire new strut replaced except there's an alignment drift pin in the lower bolt hole. All I need is the new bolt (ordered) and flag nut (ordered).

Hurry up and wait on parts.
If something is a loose fit with metric, I always try SAE. It works many times.

If something is a loose fit with metric, I always try SAE. It works many times.
Sure, but why would it be metric on one end and SAE on the other? It might be that a 26mm is a perfect fit, but I think 27mm in a 12-pt wrench would end up rounding over the nut. Not that you can get a wrench in there anyway. Perhaps the open-end jaw.

no reason for SAE nuts in Gen4. they are all in mm.

usually millimetric wrenches has relatively wide hex head dimension tolerances (especially in larger sockets).

no reason for SAE nuts in Gen4. they are all in mm.

usually millimetric wrenches has relatively wide hex head dimension tolerances (especially in larger sockets).
In areas where road salt is applied during winters rust can marginally change the size of bolt heads and nuts. Heck, I have seen them be made to not accept any socket due to the rust being severe enough to remove any useful hexagonal shape for the socket to gain a grip. It isn't too uncommon for a metric or SAE part to be whittled down to where the opposite system will have a socket size that fits better. Since the OP is living in Alaska this could be why he is having issues.

Well, a 1-1/16 wrench fits perfectly, a 26mm wrench is too small, and a 27mm wrench has some looseness. Go figure.

Back