2007 4.0 V6 Valve Cover Gasket Replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2007 4.0 V6 Valve Cover Gasket Replacement

Matt98svt

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Eddie Bauer v6 4.0
Ok, so I recently smelled burning oil on my 2007 Eddie Bauer 4.0 Explorer with 175k and found the culprit to be leaking valve cover gaskets..some what small leaks and mainly on the driver side but also leaking slightly on the passenger side. Never had a drop of oil on the garage floor but there is a small spot on the driver side header where it is hitting every so often and burning off causing the smell. I know there are additives you can put in the oil to slow/stop leaks but would rather just fix it properly and replace the gaskets. So what do I need for the job and what to expect. I need the valve cover gaskets of course but do I need a new intake manifold gasket as well after removing it or is it reusable? Do I have to disconnect any part of the fuel rails or coolant system or need any special tools for the job? Average time spent on this? Any input from others who have done this already much appreciated!

If the explorer is the same config as the sport trac the intake needs to come off, as well as the egr pipe, cant remember, but I think the Alternator support and plug wires are in the way on the passenger side as well.

My son just finished replacing valve cover gaskets on my 03 xlt. We live in the northeast snow country which means road salt. Half of the 8 mm valve cover bolts were rusted so much neither english or mm standard sockets would fit. Ended up using 9/64 1/4" drive deep well and swedging it on 1/2 the bolt heads for removal. I replaced with bolts from junk yard vehicle with no problem. Yes the egr pipe has to come off don't pay any attetion to a guy on youtube who bent it over to make room, bad mistake. So we had to remove inner fender wall, becarefull with the clips and I sacrificed the plastic bolts with a chisel as they wouldn't come out using a notch in a big gasket scrapper. My nut on the exhaust was soaked for 2 days with penetraiting oil and ended up using a small pipe wrench with 5' pipe and heated it 1st with map gas 5 times and allowed to cool in between before using cheater. Have a person watch the egrtube from above incase the stuck is stuck and starts to twist. It started to do that with us and after hittng the tube around afew time it separtated from the nut. After it was broke free had to use 1" open end wrench and tap it on to continue backing it off, rusted as it called for 1-1/16". The passenger side cover is a bear and tight clearance to get off. I loosend bracket that holds the fuel rail and also disconneced the fuel line. When going back together make sure gasket does slip off after bumping surfaces on the way in. We also removed the manifold intake and when the intake went back in 1 of the 6 o-ring gaskets slipped down, so we used grease in the fit to help hold it in. Take pictures of each piece before it comes off, son got mixed up on 1 vaccum line and took 20 minutes to trace/research to find correct orientation.

When i replaced the valve gaskets, I replace the manifold gaskets, and the injectors.I also painted the valve covers since it just costs paint.I agree about taking pictures before removing parts.

Back