• Register Today It's free!

2007 4.0L Timing Chain Disaster

fdjames

Reaction score
City, State
Poulsbo, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer XLT 4.0L
Suddenly our Explorer started making a terrible racket which was indicative of timing chain rattle. It was constant and did not alter with engine temperature. Sounded awful. Shop took a look and confirmed and so we were all set for them to pull the engine and replace front and rear components. No small price already to begin with.

Just received a call to tell me that it appeared some plastic (guides I assume) had "grenaded" inside and that they were finding plastic (and some metal) has worked their way into the oil system - they apparently found some pieces up top under the valve covers and presumably they will find more in the oil pan.

Shop's recommendation is to put in a new motor because the current one will be a "ticking time bomb" if we just replace the timing components and put it back together. This nearly doubles the cost of the repair which was already north of $3K. Any thoughts? Advice?

Sigh.

James

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How many miles and what condition is the rest of the vehicle?

The shop bit off more than they could chew and now they are covering their tracks. I would never trust an inexperienced shop with this job. Probably is cheaper for a drop in anyways as the engine needs to come out either way, and all the specialty tools required that the shop will probably never use again, unless you hold onto your truck for 5 or so years.

If they are asking 6-7 to replace the motor, take the car from them and run.
It all depends, like Tech said, how long you will keep it.
If few more years, get a reman engine and that should be around 3k, and have someone drop it in if you can't do it yourself.
Most shops can replace a motor, very few can fix 4.0 SOHC timing, and that's what Tech is saying.
Maybe you can find a shop that will swap them for a grand.

If you are planning to sell it, get a relatively low mileage used motor and drop it in.
Otherwise, with a broken engine you won't get much over a grand for the whole car.

How many miles and what condition is the rest of the vehicle?
About 94,000 miles. The tech thinks the previous owner did not take good care of the motor - quite possible. I've had for less than a year and have had nothing but trouble. I'm inclined to tell them to change the timing parts, clean it as much as possible and put it back together as a "ticking time bomb" (his words) and then I'll sell it. I really don't feel inclined to keep it any longer.

Run don't walk from these "mechanics." Shouldn't be in business and a reason why mechanics are distrusted. If they don't know how to do a job, they shouldn't just price it high to make gravy/learn on your vehicle with you paying.

If you buy a used vehicle that does not have service records, it too may very well end up a ticking time bomb. 98,000 miles is very early to have casette or timing component failure on the 4.0 especially since it is a gen 4. Earlier ones supposedly had a higher failure rate.

We have two 4.0s both well over 150,000 mi and never had timing issues, just consistent quality oil and filter changes.

Do you know a mechanically inclined person who could maybe help you do the work? We have yards here that sell engines for $150 but you have to pull them. You could get a running engine already pulled for $500. You could also pull your engine and refresh it's timing components. Really far money ahead that way, lots of options.

Back