2007 4.6 timing chain quote$ i got | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2007 4.6 timing chain quote$ i got

Johnyjo

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 explorer limited
Took truck to repair shop(chain) and was told over the phone my 2007 4.6 v8 need a rear timing chain and the labor alone would be 2600$ and change because the engine needed to be removed....does the v8 even have a rear timing chain? Did the v6 4th gen have a rear chain?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 4.6 does NOT have a rear timing chain. The V6 does.

Do not allow them to work on your Ex ever.

4.6 does not need to be removed and does not have rear timing chain.
The shop assumed you have 4.0 v6 and those need to be removed for that job.

Took truck to repair shop(chain)

The shop assumed you have 4.0 v6...

You are being way too polite. They had the truck in their possession and they couldn't tell if it was a 6 or an 8. Or they knew and didn't care.

I can't really decide which explanation is worse.

I see now :)
I though that the OP just called but they had the truck in the shop.

Johny, run as fast as you can.

Service manager something like....."sounded fine on front...but the back we heard nothing" i know its debadged. But i almost laughed on the phone when he told me this. I had it towed there..Ford dealer is like a quarter mile away. Should i take it there?

And they charge a. $99 engine diagnostics fee to see whats wrong with it.......I need to not have to pay that either if they dont know/care what engine it is. Ty

The v6 has rear chains.
I did timing on my 4.6 v8 and it took me about 5-6 hrs with the engine in.

What is the issue?
Does it crank, but won't start ? Who said you need timing job ?
How many miles ?

I'm thoroughly confused - it was towed there but they apparently listened to the engine so it did run?

So - it's running but making a noise?

You have to give us more to go on here.

150k ish. Cranks and starts currently. Runs bad/rough. Previous it died when i was parking it. Havent drove it since. Typical codes......camshaft position sensor.....vvt solenoid....then one bank was trying to correct the other bank and was running rich blah blah

First time I have taken a car to a shop in like 12 or 13 years.....i did all my own work on ky 1997 explorer

For a $100 engine diagnostic they could have dropped the oil pan and looked at the contents atleast.

Fault log report generated by Torque for Android
=================================================

Vehicle VIN:
Vehicle Manufacturer: Ford
Vehicle Calibration ID: JPB

Current Fault Log
------------------
P0300: Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0301: Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
P0306: Cylinder 6 Misfire Detected
P0307: Cylinder 7 Misfire Detected
P0349: Camshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit Intermittent (Bank 2)

Pending Fault Log
------------------
P0171: System too Lean (Bank 1)
P0305: Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected
P0308: Cylinder 8 Misfire Detected
P0345: Camshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit (Bank 2)
P2198: O2 Sensor Signal Stuck Rich bank2 Sensor1

Historic Fault Log
------------------
ECU reports no historic faults
Other discovered fault codes
(possibly pending, current or manufacturer specific)
----------------------------------------------------
P0316: Unknown code - More information may be available on the web

End of report.

But this was the most recent codes. The other was a bit prior
Fault log report generated by Torque for Android
=================================================

Vehicle VIN:
Vehicle Manufacturer:
Vehicle Calibration ID:

Current Fault Log
------------------
ECU reports no current faults

Pending Fault Log
------------------
P0345: Camshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit (Bank 2)
P0349: Camshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit Intermittent (Bank 2)

Historic Fault Log
------------------
ECU reports no historic faults
Other discovered fault codes
(possibly pending, current or manufacturer specific)
----------------------------------------------------
B2290: Unknown code - More information may be available on the web
P1000: [Ford] OBD-II Monitor Testing Incomplete
[Mazda] OBD II Monitor Testing Not Completed

End of report.

Bad cam phaser on bank 2. Might need a new camshaft but engine is easily saveable. Tow it to ford dealer and run from current shop. The more you try to have some one diagnose it the bigger the chance for more engine damage(bent valves)

It need to GTFO of that crackhead-assed shop!

Big difference in visual between a 4.0 and a 4.6

If they're not that ignorant, it sounds like they are trying to run a scam.

Doesn't say where you are located, but hopefully that shop ain't in Missouri! LOL

Debadged or not, there is no excuse! Later gen IV V8s didn't even come with an engine badge on the body. Still easy to see just by looking at the engine.

The crank sensor isn't that hard to get to. I'd change it first before I'd do anything with the camshaft. It is located on the outside front of the engine at about the 8 o'clock position on the side of the harmonic balancer. I'd look into replacing that first.

If the engine can't tell what the crank position is, the computer can't fire the cylinders at the correct time. This will cause codes like you are getting. Remember the lean and rich codes are coming from O2 sensors behind the cylinders down the exhaust pipes. The O2 sensors read temperature and interpret it as rich or lean. A intermittent crank sensor making cylinders firing at the wrong times will create miss fire codes. and rich codes from fuel not being ignited in the cylinder at the correct time. I suspect the lean code will go also once the camshaft sensor is fixed.

And, as Ford sells the sensor for $177 and you can get the Dorman aftermarket version for $14.94 through Parts Geeks. I'd do it yourself if you can.

Good Luck

Gill

Last time I checked the crank sensor is held by just one 8mm bolt, but I think you need to move the AC compressor away for that.
And when I tried to do that last time, I was only able to do it with the engine out which I was pulling out anyway. It's bolted to the block with 3 or 4 long studs that seize inside the compressor housing and you will need a 5lb sledge hammer to get it going.

The crank sensor is not the issue. It has misfires on the entire left bank on the engine and a cam sensor code. The cam is out of time causing improper cam/crank timing and missfires

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone else wanna chime in? I know it is many many weeks later but i just towed it to Ford dealer today. Whats the damage for a cam phaser at the dealer? $? Does the radiator come out while that is being done?

Back