2007 Air conditioner cycling problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2007 Air conditioner cycling problem

HyOnLyph

Reaction score
City, State
Orange County, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Sport Trac
I recently purchased a 2007 V8 Sport Trac 2WD with 110K miles. I love this truck. Pretty much everything about it is great.
However, on normal setting, the air conditioner seems to cycle between cold and not-so-cold. It doesn't blow hot. But the temperature seems to cycle. It seems to work fine on Max.
My mechanic, whom has always treated me honestly, dye tested the system and found a weak and leaky compressor and pin hole in the evaporator. The compressor was covered by a 6 mo warranty but the evaporator was not. So it cost me about $500 and we replaced it all, including the dehydrator. The Problem still exists.

Is there some type of an interior temperature control that might be malfunctioning or set in a way that causes the cold to cycle on and off? I'm used to an air conditioner that blows continuously cold.

Or is this just the way they work on this model? By the way, I've never owned a Ford in my life. I've always been a Chevy man and I'm 62 years old but I loved the look and ride of this truck so much I took the chance.

I appreciate any help or suggestions.
As always, I'm HyOnLyph.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Brand new system. Freon is good. I don't know about the orifice valve. I'll check on that.

Maybe found it.

Freon is fine. No leaks. It turns out that there is a damper known as a "blend door" that is actuated. It seems that it is malfunctioning and opening and closing at random. This is probably why there is no problem when the air is on Max. The damper closes completely and stays closed.
I haven't had a chance to get into it to see if that solves the problem but it sounds logical.

thank you. Once I knew what it was, and what to search for, I found quite a few on this forum. Very helpful. Do you know what I should expect on the cost to fix it?

You've been very helpful. Thank you.

I'll take a stab here. There are two types of HVAC systems. Manual and auto.

If you have manual and set the dial all the way left in blue, it (should) blow ice cold air till your fingers and toes have frostbite.

If you have auto and set it to a comfy 73°, it'll blow cold air until 73° inside the cabin is reached. Once it reaches the temperature that you selected, the fan will throttle back automatically and the air coming from the vents won't be as cold. It should be colder air, but won't be ice cold. This is by design as the blender door does control the output. If it continued to allow ice cold 40° air at the vents, the cabin temperature would eventually drop below your 73° and thus wouldn't be so automatic.

The automatic system has (atleast one) in-cabin sensor. There has to be more given the Dual Zone feature. Atleast one sensor is on the dash just above the ignition, rectangle area of horizontal slots.

Standard on XLT and Limited is the manual AC:
maxresdefault.jpg

Optional on XLT and Limited is Dual Zone automatic climate control:
sdfgsdfgsdfgsdfgsdfg_zpsb5e56b19.jpg

If you have the optional digital system and want ice cold air 24/7, set the temperature to its lowest setting, which I believe is 60°.

Knowing which system you have can help. Good luck.

Thank you for your reply. I have the manual system.
After reading some of the threads about the blender door, I switched the selector over to heat. I heard the typical clicking sound that is identified in those threads as the blender door actuator broken gears.

I'm pretty sure we're on trac now... (pun intended) and I'll move forward with changing it out.

Thank you again for your help.

Still a problem

I'm wondering if I'm crazy. We replaced the condenser and compressor because they had minor leaks in them. Just replaced the blend door actuator. No more clicking when we switch it over to heat etc. Blend door seems to be working fine now. Double and triple checked the freon on both high and low sides. Everything checks out.

The AC still cycles between cold and not cold. Not really hot but decidedly not cold. Bounces back and forth sporadically for 10-15 seconds. Sometimes it will run cold for a minute or more but rarely. The AC guy told me this is normal. He said the AC had a hidden temperature control that prevented the AC from over working. I've never owned a Ford so I don't know if this is normal but in 47 years of driving, I've never owned a car that cycled the AC like this.

Can anyone confirm if this is normal or not?????
I'm going nuts over this thing.

thanks

Sorry to hear of your misfortunes. I am following this as mine does exactly the same thing. The system was recently refilled and I replaced the blend door actuator. It blows cold and slowly warms, just when you think it's getting warm it blows cold again. Most frustrating. I hope someone can enlighten us with a fix.

Sorry to hear of your misfortunes. I am following this as mine does exactly the same thing. The system was recently refilled and I replaced the blend door actuator. It blows cold and slowly warms, just when you think it's getting warm it blows cold again. Most frustrating. I hope someone can enlighten us with a fix.

A good friend has just moved from Toyota to Ford as a senior master mechanic. He's agreed to babysit this until it's figured out.

What year / engine is yours. Mine is an early 2007 w/ V8

Does yours do it on MAX also? At first I didn't think mine did, but I think that was just because it was so much air recirculating. This weekend it was obvious that it does it on MAX too.

Wow, incredible. You are describing my vehicle :)

An early 07 V8 XLT 4x4. Mine has a build date of 12/06.

I too thought it didn't do it on MAX but it does, it's just not as apparent.

Hoping your friend can provide an answer.

Wow, incredible. You are describing my vehicle :)
An early 07 V8 XLT 4x4. Mine has a build date of 12/06.
I too thought it didn't do it on MAX but it does, it's just not as apparent.
Hoping your friend can provide an answer.

I was excited when I tested the blend door and found the actuator malfunctioning. A pretty inexpensive fix considering the money i've spent on the rest of the AC system. I was disappointed when it didn't fix the problem. More disappointed that my normal mechanic couldn't find the real problem.

Now that my buddy is on it, I hope we get somewhere. I'm kind of obsessive about my AC functioning correctly. It's like a gnat buzzing in my face. :mad:

By the way, he can't take it until next week so I won't have an answer 'til then.

Arghhhh!!!! He can't find the problem. He says it's fine. He tells me he can't get it to stop working except under heavy load like climbing a steep hill while accelerating.
That's normal. Mine is acting up on flat streets under low load. This is really getting ridiculous. Is this what I can expect from Fords?

I'm not giving up on this. But it may take a while.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine has been doing the same thing when going up hill since I've had it. Fortunately, the terrain is pretty flat here in FL except when going up long bridges. Subscribing for a fix... :)

Back