• Register Today It's free!

2007 EB Explorer Lumbar Failure

Gregory Moore

Reaction score
City, State
Sharon, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I was reducing the pressure in my lumbar support when I heard a pop and the whole thing went slack. Is this a fix worth trying or a nightmare? I do not want to have to tear the leather seat apart and cause damage, but I cannot see any way to access the air bladder or the lines. I want to avoid fumbling around in there not knowing were to start this fix.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

its not an airbag the metal cracks if you can find a replacement or a seat at the junkyard its not too difficult to remove the seat cover and if you really use the lumbar function then its worth the repair

its not an airbag the metal cracks if you can find a replacement or a seat at the junkyard its not too difficult to remove the seat cover and if you really use the lumbar function then its worth the repair
My 2007 Exp has the EB leather seats. I do not want to ruin the seat by fumbling around at getting into the problem area. Is thee a best way to access this problem? Then what is the fix? I popped it when I reduced the setting to minimum just to see how low it would go. I can still hear the little motor working but no lumbar motion. I love this truck and any suggestions to keeping it on the road forever are appreciated. I also have plans to hit the rusted passenger lower door sills. Weird deign to hold water there and other places on this beast.

fyi, I had the same thing, I could hear the motor. Seems the most common failure point is the cable wind spool at the motor assembly, I took mine apart and sure enough, it was shattered. I was able to pull it by reaching up under the cover after just undoing the cover where it meets the seat base. I'm quite dexterous after years of piano, so I was able to do it by feel (with the new one as a reference).

Back