2007 Eddie Bauer v6 gas mileage? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2007 Eddie Bauer v6 gas mileage?

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 explorer EB
I just bought my first explorer it's an 07 v6 Eddie Bauer edition 4x4 and I have been getting 11-13mpg around town. I live in the Suberbs, so there are a lot of lights and stop and go traffic. Just wondering if that gas mpg was normal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Seems low for a stock V6. Stock you should be getting no less than 15 MPG unless you are towing something then 11-13 MPG is fine. Then again if you are constantly doing jackrabbit starts off of the lights then you could end up with a MPG in that area.

Check out your MAF, possibly get some maf cleaner for it or replace it. i know when those go bad it throws off the 5r55e transmissions and gives you all sorts of troubles. or maybe a colgged air filter.. pop the hood and look for vacum leaks or anything that looks or sounds funny.. i know those 4.0 v6's should be getting in the high teens for mpg

Straight highway mileage upper teens maybe low 20s. Stop and go 14-15.
I have the V-6 with the tow package.

Straight highway mileage upper teens maybe low 20s. Stop and go 14-15.
I have the V-6 with the tow package.

I do a lot of stop and go and my commute is only 2 miles each way. That's why i thought maybe my MPG wasn't that far off 11-13mpg. I'll check the air filter and MAF. Since i bought it from a used car lot (not dealer) it didn't come with a manual and i'm not exactly sure if it has the tow package. It does have the factory hitch and looks like a 4pin connector.

ive been averaging anywhere from 9.7-10.4 mpg.

A few things i did to help my V6:

Replaced plugs with OEM Motorcraft,
Seafoam treatment/plastic tube intake
New fuel filter.
Cleaned MAF.
Air Filter.
It has 82,000 miles and runs very smooth.
Can only squeeze so many MPG out of these SUVs. Winter blend fuel probably effects it also, and the 10% ethanol blend fuels.

Do you change your oil after you Seafoam (just the plastic tube intake method) ?
Do you take the MAF out of the airbox and spray it with the MAF cleaner?

No need to change the oil, with the Seafoam. It's a spray in the intake.

Been awhile since doing the MAF, thinking it was pretty easy to remove it and spray the delicate wires.
I used the CRC MAF cleaner spray can.

My 4.0 4x4 limited (no tow package) gets between 13 and 16 around town in the winter, and low 20s on the highway (depending upon speed). In the summer it is between 15 and 17 mpg around town and about the same on the highway.

Now, I've taken care of mine as a second hand owner and the person before me did too - and drove it mostly on the highway. Right now I'm at 120k or thereabouts.

Just like the temperatures, my gas mileage drops like a rock in the winter. Bad time to mess with mpg's. Even with a tuned-up vehicle, the winter blend gas, plus leaner air to fuel mixture in colder weather, plus warming-up vehicle with remote start, all translate to at least 4-5 mpg 'less' than summer driving. I get 19.5 in summer all around (22 on highway only,) and 15.5 overall in winter.....some highway, some stop & go.

Check your bumper. Do you have the larger 2" towing receiver? If so, then you have the factory Class III towing package, which (for the V6/5-speed powertrain) included an axle gear change from 3.55 to 3.73:1. That's good for acceleration, and towing ability, but bad for gas mileage.

Ok I am seeing wide swings here average from 13 to 18.
I just upgraded from an 02 XLT 4.0 ffv to an 06 Eddie Bauer with the 4.0.
My 02 has 192k on it and I can drive the crap out of it - rush hour, in town and high way and still average 18 mpg. The 06 with 32k is getting 13 at best. I ran a few tanks of premium fuel 91 oct and a couple cans of seafoam in the tank bust can't get the mileage to come up.
I am not getting any warning lights that are indicating there is a problem. But when I disconnect the power connector from my EGR valve nothing happens. There is no disruption in the idle or accelerator. Would a stuck Egr valve be the reason for such poor mileage??
Now when the car is in park or neutral I can only get the rpm's up to 3500 - and that is with the accelerator to the floor.

Any suggestions as to what could be wrong?
I am assuming the previous owner only used it for short trips since I bought the vehicle in jan 2012 with 30k on it. And it has sat around for the last year before I started driving it.

This generation of vehicle has an electronic rev limiter so when stopped or in park you can only rev to about 3.5K. As far as your fuel economy issue goes it is hard to say what could be causing it since it sat for so long and seems like it was never really driven on long trips. If the battery was disconnected while it was parked the vehicle has to relearn everything and it takes about 500 miles for that to happen. Noticed you said it only has 32000 miles on it so you are due for a fuel filter (replace every 30K) and as far as the PCV valve goes those are usually replaced at 100000 miles and typically last that long. It also wouldn't hurt to pull the air filter and make sure that it is clean and doesn't need replacing.
Edit:
I noticed that you are in Min. and short trips in which the engine does not get up to temp will cause horrible fuel economy. That said, you might want to hook up a code scanner that can monitor engine parameters and make sure that the engine is coming up to about 190 deg F in no more than about 5min and holding it without fluctuating. I had a factory thermostat that was failing and it took me quite a while to recognize it because I also drive in very cold temperatures in the winters.

Same with mine. 149K on the 07. gas mileage dropping like a rock. New fuel filter, plugs, airfilter. Next I'll try the O2 sensors. I'm getting 14/20. Used to be 17/24. Terrible.

well i know when i worked down in NYC for a couple months driving a new dodge mini van in that type of really bad stop and go traffic yea 10-12MPG AVG. so maybe his drive is really that bad. any car/truck can get that bad MPG if its running for that long and not going far

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

V6 mpg

My 06 EB with 155,00 miles gets 26 or better at 55 on flat roads. Around town in our small rural town I get in the high teens.

Back