2007 Explorer 4.0 Stalling and Hesitation (In Hot Weather) | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! Once registered you can join the Elite Explorers to eliminate ads from the website.

2007 Explorer 4.0 Stalling and Hesitation (In Hot Weather)

Ulver

Reaction score
City, State
Nashville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer 4.0 XLT
Hello all,

2007 Explorer stalls and hesitates. It's only died/stalled while in idle. Hesitates/bucks sometimes when driving, but does not happen all the time. This happens mainly around the afternoon after getting off of work and driving when it's hotter outside.

Codes - 0402 Excessive EGR flow.

I physically checked the EGR valve and there is no carbon buildup around the pintle.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fix4Dirt

Get a Load O' This Guy!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4x4
is the valve stuck open? gasket good? im leaning torward gasket cause it sounds like a vacuum leak, or it could be stuck open too, cause unmetered air...

Ulver

Reaction score
City, State
Nashville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer 4.0 XLT
I was thinking two things.

Either there is carbon build up around the pintle or the solenoid is getting stuck in "open". Guess I'll have to figure out how to run that kind of test on this EGR valve. The 2007 is electronic, so I'll have to check.

As far as unmetered air, I think I could monitor my fuel trims while it's in idle to see if I go too lean.

I also have to mind the possibility that it's not the EGR that's causing the stalling, and that it's just mere coincidence. If there are any ideas on what I can do, please let me know.

Ulver

Reaction score
City, State
Nashville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer 4.0 XLT
One thing that I want to mention is that this seems to only occur when it's hot outside, above 75 degrees. It runs fine in the morning and at night.. But around noon-late noon that's when the symptoms occur the most.

No codes.

I'm getting "fuel pump" on other forums and whatnot.

Fix4Dirt

Get a Load O' This Guy!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4x4
the codes do point to a dying fuel pump. however i do wonder if fuel pup has any effect on egr system, hence the code. or this could be a ckmbination of 2 issues. the hesitating and stalling is a fuel pump symptom.

Ulver

Reaction score
City, State
Nashville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer 4.0 XLT
I found multiple wires at and around the electrical connectors (MAF, EGR, TB, ATS, etc.) where wires had insulation missing to a serious degree where the most common bend points are. I thought I got every single one, but I'm guessing I missed some of them because the Explorer is trying to stall out, but isn't so far. Ran it for 45-60 minutes and there were 2 times where it almost did. I guess that counts as a difference from before the wiring fix where it would stall completely and after? That's at least what's going on so far.

Driving it more today so we will see...