2007 Explorer 4.0L - Powertrain Malfunction Light and not shifting | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2007 Explorer 4.0L - Powertrain Malfunction Light and not shifting

GT500_Grad

Reaction score
City, State
Beaver Falls, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer
I've searched around and found similar issues but nothing that was really my issue. So if I did miss a post on this topic, I apologize in advance.

I have a 4x4, 4.0L 2007 Explorer w/ about 111k miles. It's been a very solid truck until a few days ago when the powertrain malfunction, wrench light came on and the engine started revving real high, not shifting, and whining.

The whining sounds like it's coming from the training not the engine, and the high revving is due to it not shifting properly.

Initially, it would shift eventually, but after revving up to 4-5K RMPs. After changing the TPS last night, we took 2 half mile test drives, and it was still acting the same. I went to take my father for a quick ride to get his opinion and it basically had lost all it's power. It would eventually build up enough power to crawl along, but barely.

Everything I've found online, says TPS, but I put a new one on. Could the new one be bad? The only time I've had symptoms like this, was with my last car, a Grand Am and it was low on Transmission fluid. But I had a leak that I knew about. I can't find any fluid leaks.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

This happened to me too, what happened was that my transmission fluid was leaking from my radiator. I was still under warranty at the time so ford replaced it for me and they added transmission fluid. After that it started driving like normal again. Not sure if its the same issue but hope this helps

Back