• Register Today It's free!

2007 Explorer 4WD with 100k

ExplorerHope

Reaction score
City, State
NW Houston Area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 XLT 4WD
I'm thinking about buying this one, I've checked it out and although I know the dealers clean 'em up real nice I have reservations about the 4WD/AWD systems. I've looked through the general forum and didn't see any specific complaints, and because of the area we're in I suspect the 4WD function was mostly used to pull a boat. (Probably a boat that should have been pulled by an Excursion or bigger.) I don't think it was used for a lot of off-road.

Anyone have comments or suggestions ?
Thanks in advance,
J

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you might ask for the service history and see if they have changed the trans fluid every 30k for towing.

4wd might kick in on a slick boat ramp, but otherwise I wouldn't expect the 4wd was needed much in towing.

the v8 has a pretty robust trans so long as you maintain it and keep it within temps.

Thanks very much for the info but the "domestic supervisor" nixed this one. I've gained tons of valuable info just browsing here. Thanks for the help!

A visit to Carproof might be a good idea. If the maintenance was done by a dealer, they will have a record of it. I would also think that a two year minimum aftermarket insurance would be a good idea. I bought a 2006 in january 2009 and had some problems with the front drive about a year later after the 12 month warranty ran out and it costme $1500 CAN.

I have a 2006 EB with v8, 4wd. And I have clocked so far 99,000 miles.
Besides the tires, brakes and oil changes, the only 2 things that broke were:

left rear wheel bearing assembly at 77K miles, and right front ABS sensor that required right front wheel hub assembly at 98k miles. I use it to tow my trailer ocasionaly, and I plow with it, I have a Fisher Homesteader mounted on my Explorer.Overall I use it mainly to commute to work 80 miles a day, weekend trips with wife and kids, and then it gets little abuse in the winter, and when pulling the trailer.
Knock on wood, it's been good to me, tranny kicks downshifting from 2 to 1 at the stop sign, since ever, and it's normal. Flushed the tranny at 75k miles at the dealer since it's a closed 6 spd unit.

Back