2007 Explorer Eddie Bauer Unbelievable fuel consumption | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2007 Explorer Eddie Bauer Unbelievable fuel consumption

Abed

Reaction score
City, State
Dubai
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 explorer eddie bauer
Hi everyone.
I've been noticing a huge decrease in fuel economy with my v6 explorer for about a month. I haven't done any changes except for changing the PCM and the fuel rail pressure sensor as well as the alternator.
But the vehicle is consuming wayy to much fuel considering that I drive it for a maximum of 20kms a day around town.
When everything was normal, the computer was reading an average of 14-16l/100kms. Now, the readings are between 26-30l/100kms (7-9mpg) Which is driving me crazy.

Any ideas of what might cause the problem? I was wondering if the fuel sensor i recently changed has something to do with it? Cause I bought one from ebay for 30 bucks and i thought it might not be working properly and i need to go to my local agency and get a new one.

Any help is appreciated...
Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First pull any trouble codes to see what is there. Then check to see if you can smell gasoline in he engine bay when the engine is running. It could be bad O2 sensors, misfiring coil(s) etc. If codes are being tripped they should point you in the right direction to look for problems.

Back when I had a 2010 Explorer V6 the PCM went bad and I purchased a used one online, after that my mpg decreased a lot, I ended selling the truck so never resolved it. I mention this just in case you purchased one used. Another thing could be the sensor, is it Motorcraft? I suggest you put a Motorcraft if it's aftermarket.

First pull any trouble codes to see what is there. Then check to see if you can smell gasoline in he engine bay when the engine is running. It could be bad O2 sensors, misfiring coil(s) etc. If codes are being tripped they should point you in the right direction to look for problems.
There are no trouble codes whatsoever, the car runs and drives extremely well. I will try and see if there's any gasoline smell and will report back ASAP.
Thanks!

Back when I had a 2010 Explorer V6 the PCM went bad and I purchased a used one online, after that my mpg decreased a lot, I ended selling the truck so never resolved it. I mention this just in case you purchased one used. Another thing could be the sensor, is it Motorcraft? I suggest you put a Motorcraft if it's aftermarket.
Yeah, the PCM I purchased was taken from a used car. Regarding the sensor, however, I guess it was a generic brand because the brand was not mentioned in the listing.

Yeah, the PCM I purchased was taken from a used car. Regarding the sensor, however, I guess it was a generic brand because the brand was not mentioned in the listing.
Generic emissions parts are hit and miss. But a fuel pressure sensor? Maybe take a scan tool and see if it is in spec. Use Forscan with an OBD adapter. There are other parameters to look at as well. Fuel Trim comes to mind.
PCMs vary a bit by the region they are sold believe it or not. Cars sold in Colorado may have a different calibration because of altitude. Eventually they can adapt though, but the mileage may off a bit.

The motorcraft fuel pressure sensor runs at about 56 +S&H at Rockauto. I would most certainly get the original part and have a peace of mind there.
For the PCM, there are several things to consider. You need exactly the PCM for your vin#, you need the correct factory calibration. You can verify if what you purchased is the correct part, if it is you can verify the calibration with a dealer, maybe.
As for the cost, I remember for my former 2010 that it would be around 750, with 400 core included, so it should be around 350 for you +S&h, also it would need to be programmed by a dealer, don´t know how much. I remember that was next on my to do list when I had the 2010 as mentioned before the fuel consumption was noticeable higher. If everything checks OK with the used PCM, then I would do a full tune-up using only Motorcraft parts. Engine oil and filter, air filter, spark plugs, spark plug cables, clean the maf sensor, etc...

You might also want to check your fuel consumption manually, in case the issue is the computer. Fill up, drive a few days, then fill up again. Amount of fuel on 2nd fill up divided by distance driven between fill-ups.

My 2008 had the same problem. I pulled the original spark plugs, found that an Exploder can actually run fine with minimal electrodes on OEM plugs that had 190,000 miles on them. I replaced plugs, wires and coil. It get 20mpg now on cruise control at 70mph. Of course, NC roads here are flat. I bought the Exploder from the estate of a preacher. He changed the oil and filter every 3,000 miles, but did no other maintenance. I paid $2k for it, then spent a month and a couple thousand doing all the maintenance that he ignored. It has 200k on it now, no problems other than a tone ring that just failed. It looks like it is a 4 years old Eddie Bauer Exploder, but it feels like it has been through the Baja race a few times:burnout:

My 2008 had the same problem. I pulled the original spark plugs, found that an Exploder can actually run fine with minimal electrodes on OEM plugs that had 190,000 miles on them. I replaced plugs, wires and coil. It get 20mpg now on cruise control at 70mph. Of course, NC roads here are flat. I bought the Exploder from the estate of a preacher. He changed the oil and filter every 3,000 miles, but did no other maintenance. I paid $2k for it, then spent a month and a couple thousand doing all the maintenance that he ignored. It has 200k on it now, no problems other than a tone ring that just failed. It looks like it is a 4 years old Eddie Bauer Exploder, but it feels like it has been through the Baja race a few times:burnout:

Yes, a tuneup can make wonders to restore original performance, good advice.

Back