2007 explorer oil light at low rpm | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2007 explorer oil light at low rpm

F16pilotjd

Reaction score
City, State
Quito
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 explorer xlt 4.0l
I have a 2007 Ford explorer. The red oil light has been coming on at lower RPMs below 800 RPM. When I’m driving or rev the engine or go above 1000 RPMs the light goes out. I had just change my oil as well thinking that that may solve the problem. Any suggestions? I’m hoping it is not the oil pump as that Is a major project for me. It is a four-wheel-drive 4.0 L engine automatic

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2007 Ford explorer. The red oil light has been coming on at lower RPMs below 800 RPM. When I’m driving or rev the engine or go above 1000 RPMs the light goes out. I had just change my oil as well thinking that that may solve the problem. Any suggestions? I’m hoping it is not the oil pump as that Is a major project for me. It is a four-wheel-drive 4.0 L engine automatic

Lets see i am guessing you used 5w30 changed the filter and the fluid level is between the marks. So it is possible the oil pressure sensor is going bad but you need to put a manual gauge on it and see. If you still see low oil pressure then its either the pump, the engine has some major wear, or It could also be the oil pickup being clogged. Is there any noises that you hear?

Lets see i am guessing you used 5w30 changed the filter and the fluid level is between the marks. So it is possible the oil pressure sensor is going bad but you need to put a manual gauge on it and see. If you still see low oil pressure then its either the pump, the engine has some major wear, or It could also be the oil pickup being clogged. Is there any noises that you hear?

The vehicle has 150,000 km on it. No noises that I can hear. When I put the gauge on it, what am I looking for as far as pressure goes? Idle, high rpm? Thanks.
Question. Can the pick up screen be cleaned or does it have to be replaced?

I dont know the oil pressure at idle but the engines I have seen its usually between 30 to 40psi at idle. The pickup depends on whats clogging it and how bad.

I dont know the oil pressure at idle but the engines I have seen its usually between 30 to 40psi at idle. The pickup depends on whats clogging it and how bad.
Ok. Thank you for the advise. I will buy a new pick up screen and change that after I test the pressure and ensure it is good. Then I will change oil again to make sure what ever caused the issue is gone. Got to have a plan.

Back