• Register Today It's free!

2007 explorer regearing questions

07offroad

Reaction score
City, State
Troy
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 4.6 awd
First and foremost I did read the maximum Traction thread. I just need some clarification. I plan to regeary explorer but I'm not going to add an lsd or locker. I know the rear has no carrier break and is straight forward. But about the front. Can I use any open dana 30 carrier (3.54 and numerically higher) in the front if I use the proper "super" bearing kit? Or is there a proper one for the ifs?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First and foremost I did read the maximum Traction thread. I just need some clarification. I plan to regeary explorer but I'm not going to add an lsd or locker. I know the rear has no carrier break and is straight forward. But about the front. Can I use any open dana 30 carrier (3.54 and numerically higher) in the front if I use the proper "super" bearing kit? Or is there a proper one for the ifs?
What is a "carrier break"?

The gear ratio in front differential must MATCH that of the rear, so, no, "any 3.54 and higher may not be used".

carrier break = gear set capability. Like an old GM 10 bolt series 2 carrier = max gear number is 3.08. To go numerically higher you need a #3 series carrier.

Rock auto lists the same part number for the ford carrier as the jeep dana 30. 3.55 was an option for the explorer, you might get lucky and find one at a junk yard cheap. What gear ratio are you thinking about going with?

Rock auto lists the same part number for the ford carrier as the jeep dana 30. 3.55 was an option for the explorer, you might get lucky and find one at a junk yard cheap. What gear ratio are you thinking about going with?

You will need a 3.73 carrier, I thought you were going the other way with the ratio.

To go from 3.55 to 4.56 you will need a 3.73 carrier.

how much tire you thinking you can get in there.....cause 4.56 is ALOT of gear. Thats what I run in my f150 with 35's. ANYTHING less in tire would certainly be overkill if you have a 4.0 ....a 4.6 might be ok with 33's and 4.56...

20220115_115437.jpg

If i recall in the 8,8 anything above the 4.30 set you will need a "new" cross shaft (it has flats on it so you can get it by the ring gear. FWIW

Just ran across this post and thought I would jump in as gearing is sort of my jam.
As it stands, this is the gear chart for the 4th gen with the 4.6 and the 6 speed with 3.55 gears (stock) and stock size tires.

1660584021709.png

Please note that first gear is NOT first gear. It is first gear in 4lo. I include that to show what you get at the lowest edge of capability.

Below, this is a graph of a stock truck with 32.6" tires. As you can see, this combo gets pretty out of hand and really pushes what one could expect to do and not feel as if they messed up badly.

1660584408821.png

So, what happens if we change the ratios in the diffs? I am glad you asked! Thats what we are here for right? Below is what you get with a swap to 4.10 and 33" tires. I picked this as I feel its sort of a happy medium in that some people may want to run a 35" or maybe go to the steeper gear but this is pretty close to what you will get with a ratio swap with big tires.

1660584649637.png

This ratio and tire choice will give pretty good off road gearing while still letting you sit at around 70mph cruise at just over 2000rpm in top gear. Thats not too shabby. I would likely go to something a little steeper for better off road as a 4.56 with this tire still comes in at around 2350rpm cruis but that is likely just high enough that it may annoy some.

Hope this is helpful or at least interesting to some. Happy to answer any questions as I am not proofreading or fact checking myself too hard here. :p

Back