2007 Explorer Sport Trac Limited V8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2007 Explorer Sport Trac Limited V8

Kevin Montgomery

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer Sport Trac
Hello, I am new here, and hope I am posting in the correct location to try and find an answer.
My Sport Trac I believe needs the air temperature/blend door actuator on the passenger side. The driver side works perfectly, but the passenger side, even with the vehicle keys in my hand, I can sometimes hear what sounds like a cheap turkey call. When the vehicle makes the same noise while we are in it, the passenger side will do the opposite of what it is presently doing.... toggle from heat to air conditioning. I bought a replacement actuator, but am having a little trouble locating it. I saw a generic blueprint diagram on a Ford page, but that didn't really clear up things for me. I removed the radio plate, and glove box with ease, but it's the surrounding edging between the 4X4 controls and the glove box that is probably covering the area I need to remove, unless it can be reached easily and just not able to be seen. All the comments I see online say that Ford can charge as much as $600 to replace it, and I would rather not have to do that.
If anyone knows of a video, or a pic by pic diagram I can use as a go by I would really appreciate a push in the right direction.
I was told by Ford that the actuators are on each side of the radio compartment.
BTW, I have the digital dual climate control.
Thanks! Kevin

Hi Kevin , welcome to the site.

There are small panels at the lower front of the console (1 on each side) that need to be removed. Panels are approx. 3 x 12" with 3 vent slots. Held in place with clips, so pull/pry the right side off. Now you should be able to look up and see the actuator on the plenum. Disconnect wiring, use 1/4" drive ratchet with a 6" extension and either 7 or 8mm socket remove 3 screws through the glove box. A flexible socket works best.

Don't worry if you can't get all the screws back in place. 2 are enough to secure it.

Haven't had a chance to try to find the blend door again. The wife and I went on a road trip this weekend in the Sport Trac and I had a thought come to mind. The road trip was a little over 2 hours one way, and while traveling, we could hear the blend door make it's little "turkey call" noise and sure enough it would switch from either hot to cold, or the opposite. It did this probably close to a dozen times this weekend.
Would that mean that the blend door is functional, and I possibly need to replace something else, like the climate control itself? It's the digital dual climate, and my side has never failed. Her side messes up if it's in dual mode, or single. We can hear the door swinging back and forth even with the truck powered off.
If so, I am having a hard time finding an exact match online. I see several on places like ebay, with a warranty for the part, but they have a rear window defrost button on the far bottom right. My truck has a max ac button in the same place. Every other button is an exact match. Not sure what would happen if I installed it, and accidentally pressed the button. Maybe nothing, but could I blow a fuse possibly? Would the button be non functional? Or would it turn on the max ac for the normal cycle of a rear window defrost cycle of 15 minutes or so, and turn itself off automatically and go back to normal ac?
This is if in fact the blend door is working and it's the climate control messing up. I've saw several posts of the blend doors needing to be replaced, but I hadn't saw any where it says the blend door malfunctions and operates on it's own, so that's why I thought it may just be getting signals to switch erratically.
Thanks for any input!
Kevin

Back