2007 Explorer Transmission Overfilled? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2007 Explorer Transmission Overfilled?

DaveWW00

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 2007 ford explorer xlt, v6, 4wd. Sorry my explanation/question below might get a little long.

First some background that may or may not matter to my transmission issues:
About last January or so, the radiator sprung a leak and i had to have it replaced. A few weeks later i noticed a small drip of transmission fluid where the hose from the transmission connects into the radiator/transmission cooler. I had shop that did radiator look at it- watching them through window I saw them raise vehicle, wiggle the connection for 2 seconds, and then they said they think they fixed it and i should drive it a few days and watch it. This is after i had told them for a week i had been wiggling it and using some tie wire, etc to try and get hose/connection in config where leak would stop. Instead of waiting a few days i left it running and i parked in the lot there and 30 seconds later it started dripping again. They said they would have to replace radiator to fix that connector but they were going to charge me labor to do that but radiator would be covered under its warranty. There was no way i was having them do it again and the leak was very slow so instead i got some sealant and tape and seemed to stop the leak.

So a month or so after that just to be sure too much transmission fluid hadnt dripped out i took it to different shop and had them change transmission fluid and filter. This was maybe 10 months ago or so. I noticed it was still leaking a tiny bit a few months after this so i took off my last patch and i bought some high temperature silicon tape that seals to itself/everything, wrapped that tightly around the connection and portion of hose and i havent had a drip since.

Now onto my problem. I've started to notice the last ~6 months or so that when i am accelerating to get on highway or up the hill on my street and other random times that my explorer seems to hesitate (not sure if thats right word)- basically ill hit the gas, it will accelerate for a second or two and then just kind of pause for a second like its stuck at that point or something and then it will suddenly start accelerating again. I searched online and ended up changing the fuel filter, throttle position sensor, cleaned the MAF sensor and also the throttle body also. Engine seemed to run a little smoother but problem persists. So i started thinking maybe its the transmission.

I have a bluetooth OBD adapter and dont have any codes or anything. When driving the transmission doesnt seem to be overheating or acting odd from what i can tell from the different readings. So, i thought maybe its low on transmission fluid. I bought the little adapter to add fluid to the transmission throught the center of the drain plug. So today, i started engine up, transmission fluid temps was about 110F, and i opened that small plug...and about a pint of fluid streamed out before i quickly closed it. Is it possible it was overfilled last time i had it changed? how is that even possible with the setup with the fill plug through the drain plug? i'm afraid that something might be wrong and i end up draining all the fluid or something so thought i would ask here if im just being overly cautious. the fluid that came out didnt have any metal in it when i ran magnet through it and the color was brownish red , didnt smell burnt.

Thoughts, suggestions? Thanks!

There is a tube that sticks up in the pan above that plug, you drain till it starts to just drop out, that is the proper level. Engine must be running when you do this. Because of the height of the tube no metal or other shaving will come out.
Your problem sounds like it's the engine.

Look at this post---http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118654
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118654

thanks for the link, that is what i intended on doing but the pint of fluid that came out immediately spooked me so i put the fill plug back in before i maybe lost everything. i guess my question is: is it normal for a pint or so to drain out of the transmission fill tube when you first open it, especially when i expect it to be low on transmission fluid if anything. car was level, was up to temp, and running. I just cant get stuck with all the fluid draining out.

if you think its more the engine- any suggestions what i should look at?

UPDATE: went out and tried again- level/170F/running and got same thing: cracked the little torx bolt open and solid stream of fluid started to come out, certainly more than what would be inside the fill level tube. closed it a lot quicker so didnt lose as much as last time. the paper pusher (as an engineer i cant accept another engineer would do this) at ford that decided a dipstick-less transmission was a good idea deserves a swift kick in the ass.

$#%^&@!

Drove alright this morning and on way home, but heading to golf course after work went up a steep hill, didnt want to go in 3rd gear, and then the check engine and little wrench light went on. Shifted hard twice before i got to course from there. used phone and adapter and pulled codes: P0745- Pressure Control Solenoid "A" and P0733- Gear 3 Incorrect Ratio were on there. Turned on again on my way home but didnt shift hard at all like before. Just plan on taking it to dealer tomorrow morning since they are open on saturday and i cant risk driving it anymore.

Back