2007 Explorer with 5R55S trans issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2007 Explorer with 5R55S trans issues

JonLeeFuller

Reaction score
City, State
Falling Waters
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 explorer xlt
Hello everyone I have a 2007 explorer with a 5R55S trans that's starting to have issues. This vehicle was given to me from my wife's grandmother. Back in 2017 she had AMMCO for somewhere in the neighborhood of 4600 dollars. Wednesday this thing started shifting hard while going down the highway and was struggling. When it was downshifting while going down the highway it would downshift hard. Once I got to work the wrench light came on. When I was leaving work the wrench light want present. On the drive home it was still shifting hard and seemed like the fan clutch was coming on more then usual. I get home and decide to check the codes. The code that had came on during my ride to work was p1783.... Transmission over heating. I went to put it in drive to to pull it in the driveway and I have nothing no forward gears or reverse nothing in 4wheel drive either not sure if that mattered but it was worth a shot. Eventually I was giving it gas and it finally went into gear hard. Im not sure what to do next. Look for a trans try to drop the pan and change the filter. I don't think that would do much either. I've done a little research about the shift solenoids and the service bores wore out. But neither of these options seems like a match to what I have going on. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I do have the receipt from ammco for 4600 bucks that going 32,000 miles. The explorer currently has about 151,000 miles on it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would check the fluid level and condition first, if its full and no signs of a burnt odor pull the pan down and check for debris.

The over temp code could be a electrical issue but the loss of forward and reverse and full of fluid will be enough to say this trans has internal issues to a point that the transmission will have to come out and disassembled.

I would check the fluid level and condition first, if its full and no signs of a burnt odor pull the pan down and check for debris.

The over temp code could be a electrical issue but the loss of forward and reverse and full of fluid will be enough to say this trans has internal issues to a point that the transmission will have to come out and disassembled.

I'ma going to hopefully getting around to checking the fluid this weekend. I have other vehicles to drive. I have the tool.to check it. From what I understand I get it to operating temperature and and take the center torx out of the drain plug and if it's too high it drains out. I will know a little more once I do this. If it doesn't smell burnt then I will drop the pan see if there's any debris it shavings or whatever and change the filter and fluid and go from there. From what I have read this doesn't sound like a servo problem or a solenoid problem.i think if it has to be pulled and torn apart I will most likely get a remanufactured trans. Thoughts and opinions. I have a 2008 f150 that a 37 year for trans guy rebuilt and have had great success with. He told a guy I work with who had a similar year explorer when he had trans problems that these transmissions in the explorer are not meant to be rebuilt. Is there any truth to that?

Behold the condition of the transmission fluid

IMG_20230630_185621809_HDR.jpg

Well I would say that's a problem, looks like this transmission will have to come out.

Rebuild time

Back