2007 Ford Explorer 4.0L Code P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2007 Ford Explorer 4.0L Code P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected

Jpn113

Reaction score
Guys, need some help here driving to lunch yesterday, car started idling really rough and then check engine light came on. Parked car and left it in a parking lot went home and got my scan tool and it is pulling P0303, that is the only code it is throwing. Anyone have a diagram of the cylinder layout for this year and engine, also any suggestions on troubleshooting. Thought about checking spark at that cylinder first, then the coil. Thanks for the help.

Joe

Facing the car with the hood open, it is the one on your left, passengers side, closest to the windshield. The one by the air box is # 1, by the battery is # 4, the one closest to the driver is # 6.

Pretty sure misfire just means replace your spark plugs (in layman's terms). I'd personally only replace them all at once, not one or two at a time.

V6 uses a wasted spark system. Adjacent posts on the coil fire at the same time, every second stroke cycle. this makes it handy for troubleshooting. First check the plug in 3, if its okay take the wire from the corresponding post on the coil pack and swap them, then try swapping the wires. If none of this works spark is not the issue. Next thing I would look at is the injector, unless valve noise is present. A stuck lifter, or what ever they call them on an OHC can be the issue. No noise and a lean plug would probably indicate fuel which is most likely an injector on that cylinder.

Back