2007 ford explorer door hinge adjustment??? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2007 ford explorer door hinge adjustment???

What has Ford done in there? Any idea, it seems a weird design for some restrictor which I gather it must be.
Not really sure but it's pretty dumb. I mean,this was an ongoing problem for years and they continued with the same stupid design.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have lubricated plenty of hinges on various vehicles to keep them swinging for decades but this certainly is different and does not appear to be serviceable by design.

Well i got around to it this weekend as my son came over. The small hole matching the needle grease adapter ended up getting a bit too large once it went through. So i recommend starting with a very small one first and enlarge as required. I drilled half way down but it was still to high. Something in behind so the needle would not go in. The upper hole I did with a 1/8" bit. I was able to slide the needle on an angle into the side are from the lower hole and force grease in and hold my figures around the needle are to minimize grease coming out from it. Eventually I got it right and even with the grease needle now bent up the side a way. White lithium grease was coming out the upper hole. When I started to see the black grease I was using appear I stopped.

Problem is solved and i found a metal tapping screw for the top hole. Door is quite now!!!!

I have lubricated plenty of hinges on various vehicles to keep them swinging for decades but this certainly is different and does not appear to be serviceable by design.

Designed to fail by Ford!

Designed to fail by Ford!
Complaining about hinges needing greased on a 17 year old vehicle? Pretty sure planned obsolescence wouldn’t come in the form of a creaking hinge. It’d more likely come in the form of multiple transmission repairs or a timing chain breaking and eating your valves for breakfast.

Complaining about hinges needing greased on a 17 year old vehicle? Pretty sure planned obsolescence wouldn’t come in the form of a creaking hinge. It’d more likely come in the form of multiple transmission repairs or a timing chain breaking and eating your valves for breakfast.
But there’s no convenient way to lubricate it at all!

The hinge design, is STUPID, as many have complained here on the forum. Isn’t it part of Ford’s planned obsolescence to creat more jobs/work with many replacement parts???!!!

Ford cars just have too many issues!

Ford has been making cars for decades, and such a sophisticated company has learned how to design cars to fail just after warranty expires!!! Like the transmission bore issue, as you mentioned.

To learn how to repair cars, Ford is the go-to brand!!!

BTW, which engines or year models have the timing chain breaking and/or breaking valves issue please? Some reference links are appreciated!

BTW, which engines or year models have the timing chain breaking and/or breaking valves issue please? Some reference links are appreciated!
All 4.0 SOHCs have the weak tensioner/guide setup. They are all interference engines.

A new Ford is no worse than any other car maker who’s attempting to be a luxury vehicle, and isn’t.

But there’s no convenient way to lubricate it at all!

The hinge design, is STUPID, as many have complained here on the forum. Isn’t it part of Ford’s planned obsolescence to creat more jobs/work with many replacement parts???!!!

Ford cars just have too many issues!

Ford has been making cars for decades, and such a sophisticated company has learned how to design cars to fail just after warranty expires!!! Like the transmission bore issue, as you mentioned.

To learn how to repair cars, Ford is the go-to brand!!!
I read an interesting article a while back on how using CAD in the engineering process is the main cause for parts failures along with the desire to save cost to manufacture. The modelling software has become so refined and accurate that the engineers can design a part that will last a bit beyond the extended warranty while shaving the cost down to the bare minimum. This way they are covered from a repair standpoint and pocket the money from not having to spec a more expensive and robust part. It is all about balancing these two things as a priority and it is applied to every component of the vehicle. This is why once a newer vehicle hits 100k miles it starts to see parts failures at a more frequent rate. Good maintenance can help some components last longer like engines, transmissions, PTUs, transfer cases etc. but so many parts are not able to be maintained and they will fail before they should. The other issue is that so many smaller components have been made inaccessible to replace. They are part of a module that contains many other components. When one component goes bad you replace several good components too. This makes repair costs very expensive on newer vehicles. The luxury European brands have been doing this for the past 10-15 years which is why we see so many high priced luxury cars/SUVs selling for $5k these days.

All 4.0 SOHCs have the weak tensioner/guide setup. They are all interference engines.

A new Ford is no worse than any other car maker who’s attempting to be a luxury vehicle, and isn’t.
Thanks
I read an interesting article a while back on how using CAD in the engineering process is the main cause for parts failures along with the desire to save cost to manufacture. The modelling software has become so refined and accurate that the engineers can design a part that will last a bit beyond the extended warranty while shaving the cost down to the bare minimum. This way they are covered from a repair standpoint and pocket the money from not having to spec a more expensive and robust part. It is all about balancing these two things as a priority and it is applied to every component of the vehicle. This is why once a newer vehicle hits 100k miles it starts to see parts failures at a more frequent rate. Good maintenance can help some components last longer like engines, transmissions, PTUs, transfer cases etc. but so many parts are not able to be maintained and they will fail before they should. The other issue is that so many smaller components have been made inaccessible to replace. They are part of a module that contains many other components. When one component goes bad you replace several good components too. This makes repair costs very expensive on newer vehicles. The luxury European brands have been doing this for the past 10-15 years which is why we see so many high priced luxury cars/SUVs selling for $5k these days.

Can’t agree more!

The one your driving.

U dont really need to hate this car so much

Just sell it to junkyard and buy something fresh new and much more reliable

U dont really need to hate this car so much

Just sell it to junkyard and buy something fresh new and much more reliable

You REALLY think new cars are much more reliable? Tell me a model please!

No idea

I am ok with my old good explorer

I have recommended many times here to not buy a high mileage Explorer or Mountaineer with the 4.0L SOHC V6 engine. They are ticking time bombs regarding the timing chain guides. Add in the unreliability of the 5R55 transmissions and you have a potential one-two punch of major repairs that far exceed the vehicle's value. Then add in the typical repairs any vehicle needs as it ages and it makes these vehicles very costly to own if the work is done at a repair shop. Anyone looking to buy a higher mileage 3rd or 4th gen Explorer/Mountaineer should make it a V8 model and preferably a 4th gen V8 to get the much more reliable 6R60/6R80 transmission. You will pay more to purchase them but will save even more if you plan to own it for many miles of driving.

New oem bolt on door hinge costs about 170 bucks.could be found with more reliable prices on ebay or else.

It will serve like almost forever ( my experience -average oem new part lifetime is about ten years or about 80000 miles)

You dont really need or have to fix your car with amateur DIY videos and crappy junkyard or aftermarket spare parts..

Gorilla tape on hinge assembly drilled hole...really????

Like fixing your car with office equipment?

You REALLY think new cars are much more reliable? Tell me a model please!
Plenty of new cars are reliable. My Kia has been flawless so far. I’ve got a friend who bought a new Kia that was totaled for hail at 70k, he never had a single repair or warranty. His mom also has one she traded for another just to get AWD.

Plenty of new cars are reliable. My Kia has been flawless so far. I’ve got a friend who bought a new Kia that was totaled for hail at 70k, he never had a single repair or warranty. His mom also has one she traded for another just to get AWD.

How many miles do yours have now? 100K mile is a gap.

80k. Everything is wearing well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back