2007 Ford Explorer - never ending Check Engine Light loop... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

kjd214

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Ford F 150 XLT
Hi all,

2007 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer - about 116,000 miles on it. Honestly, it has treated me great - and I have also treated it great in return. Always up on the scheduled maintenance, and I've probably done more things to it that are not "needed" (depending on who you talk to) than most - including every "flush" imaginable.

At ~115,000 miles I was told that I should have the spark plugs and wires are replaced. Possibly stupidly, I agreed and the Ford dealer removed and replaced all spark plugs and wire set to the tune of ~$390. This seems to be when things starting going downhill...or it could be a coincidence?

At about 115,600, the check engine light came on I believe for the first time ever. I took the car to Autozone to get it read. I wish I saved that print out with the code, but from what I can remember it had to do with an EVAP leak, I believe a small one. I took into the Ford dealer (7/8/16) and they verified (I think) the same code I had gotten. They said they performed a smoke test and found the leak, performed a pin point test (unsure if that's the same thing as a smoke test?), found a faulty EVAP solenoid, removed and replaced the solenoid and cleared the codes - then retested. To the tune of $333. They also ordered a new gas cap, but did not (and have not) installed that. (UPDATE - they installed a new gas cap yesterday 15-August and reset the CEL).

Everything was ok for a couple weeks...then the CEL came on again. I took to Autozone again and it read P1450 - Replace Faulty Evaporative Emissions (EVAP) Canister Vent Valve Vacuum Hose. The other Error Codes Read: EVAP Pressure Pump - Circuit Plausibility.

I took it in again to the Ford dealer at about 115,900 on 8/5/16 They tried to give me the run around of how this was a different issue, they wouldn't charge me for diagnostics but it would be about a ~$200 fix. I refused to pay because of the previous issue they said they found and fixed, told them to bring out the Service Manager (which they did), we went back and forth a bit and they agreed to do the fix at no charge. Unfortunately I did not get a print out of what they did, but if I recall correctly they replaced the Canister Vent Valve Vacuum (they said it was getting stuck open)

Fast forward to today, CEL came back on. Took to Autozone again - same exact code and print out as the previous time. I can't wait to take it back in and see what they have to say now, although to say I'm frustrated would be an understatement.

I've tried to search the forums high and low - used Google, etc. I know that I'm not the first to experience this/these issues, but can't find any scenarios where someone had the CEL keep coming on and getting the same codes.

I've checked the gas cap - the filler tank where the circular metallic flap normally would be is no longer there - it's just the hole exposed (they've told me this model does not have a flapper going into the tank?). Could that be a factor here? My gas cap light has never come on...

Also, the gas cap just keeps clicking but will spin 360 degrees. I could have swore previously it never did that...but could be wrong...

Desperate for help and advice at this point. Car is paid off, I've treated and serviced it like royalty, would love for it last me another 7 years (wife and I just had our first child 4 weeks ago)...

I had a problem like that. At the vent valve on drivers side next to battery follow the rubber hose toward the firewall where it meets aluminum line. Right there was a slight kink that was cracked underneath causing my leak. I cut about 1.5 inches off the hose and reattached and it is gone.

I had a problem like that. At the vent valve on drivers side next to battery follow the rubber hose toward the firewall where it meets aluminum line. Right there was a slight kink that was cracked underneath causing my leak. I cut about 1.5 inches off the hose and reattached and it is gone.

Thanks Steven - this is a great check. Appreciate the response!

Back