2007 Ford Explorer Passenger Side CV axle Will Not Slide in | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2007 Ford Explorer Passenger Side CV axle Will Not Slide in

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just realized that I will likely have to replace that output shaft because that groove around the damaged end of the shaft is where that circlip snaps in place to hold the new CV hub on tight. But, I now know the name of the part and have a diagram. Many thanks to all that helped.

Good idea about the slit pipe.
I was thinking about those exhaust pipe expanders, but they are usually too big for that.
But your idea may work.
But the only worry with that, is that you may damage the splines further inboard where you can’t file it true, trying to get it out.

If it were me I would drop the diff cover and see what is going on in there.
That axle shaft connects to spider gear so even if you get the old one out, a new shaft may not slide right in.

I think there is C clips that hold the inner axle shafts in place. I think the process to remove the C clips will be similar to the ford 8.8.

Good idea about the slit pipe.
I was thinking about those exhaust pipe expanders, but they are usually too big for that.
But your idea may work.
But the only worry with that, is that you may damage the splines further inboard where you can’t file it true, trying to get it out.

If it were me I would drop the diff cover and see what is going on in there.
That axle shaft connects to spider gear so even if you get the old one out, a new shaft may not slide right in.

I got to thinking today that even if I filed down the outer damaged end of the shaft it wouldn't do much good, that circlip needs that groove out near the end of the shaft and it is long gone, rubbed off pretty much. I am going to have to find another output shaft. So damaging the splines is not going to matter.

That is a good idea to drop that differential cover before I try putting the new shaft back in, might even be able to pry the damaged shaft out to get it past the circlip. There is definitely circlips on both ends of the shaft.

Think you are correct that there are circlips on either end of that axle shaft. I would get it out first as it may be difficult to find a new one.
If all 2nd, 3rd & 4th gen 4x4 use the same Dana 30, maybe a trip to the local pic-n-pull?

Not second gen, just 3 and 4 gen

I just did my 06EB front CV axles last month. When I removed the old front right CV axle, the inner Axle shaft came out with it. There is a circlip on the inner Axle shaft that locks into the differential. It takes some play to get it back in and should be flush with the Axle seal. Then I slid the CV Axle in. There is no "spline lineup." it just slides in with the splines. Hope this helps.

Man that is good news. Nothing worse than having one vehicle and needing to tear it down to fix something sketchy like this. Might ought to rent a car for the week before I give it a shot.

I would weld a nut to the end of the axle that your slide hammer would screw into and hammer away.

What if you tried to make like a fuel line disconnect tool, that would surround the axle but go past the seal and hopefully compress the circlip inside the diff?

What if you tried to make like a fuel line disconnect tool, that would surround the axle but go past the seal and hopefully compress the circlip inside the diff?
@massacre
Good idea except clearance between OD of male spline on axle and ID of inner shaft is too small to allow circlip to fit in between the two shafts. Deepening groove in inner axle will work, if necessary, but should not be. The factory can get them together, thus so should we (little prayer!). imp

Back