2007 Ford Explorer... Tire options | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2007 Ford Explorer... Tire options

Hey Everyone,

My Explorer has hit 80k, and it's time to get some tires. (They are quite low)
This is a 4WD, V8, Eddie Bauer edition. The current tires are 235/65/18.

I really want to get something bigger. However, my tire place recommended against it. Indicating it can screw up the driver train, transmission, ABS. I called the Ford Dealership, and they also told me that it can cause issues with the ABS, and generally shouldn't do it.

Obviously, that's not the answer I want to hear. But, I will accept it.. if I didn't feel like they are just telling me that to be on the safe side. I'm not overly concerned with the speedo. (Not interested in lift kits, etc)

I'd appreciate some input on that concern.

Also, I really like a mean looking tire. "Agressive" is one word for it, but I want to make sure that I am not choosing looks over comfort. One tire that I've seen around that I really like the look of is the Toyo Open Country (xtreme) A/T. Also the Perelli Scorpion ATRs are nice. Wondering if anyone had any recommendations in that arena as well?

Thanks!

Take a look at Kumho Road Venture SAT KL61. Third in the "On-/Off-Road All-Terrain" category on Tirerack.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Road+Venture+SAT+KL61

ku_roadven_satkl61_ci2_l.jpg

Image courtesy of http:/ /www.tirerack.com

You can get bigger tires for it, but unless you plan on lifting it, you are probably better off just sticking with the stock size, especially if you mostly do on-road driving.

You can get all-terrain tires for looks that will also be great for any off-road use, the Kumhos would be a great choice, they will work good on and off road and in lots of weather conditions like snow and rain.

BF Goodrich makes a tire called the Rugged Terrain T/A that has the sidewall styled to look like a more aggressive mud tire, but with the tread of an all-terrain that works well on pavement. I'd say it's more looks than performance, and something like the Kumhos would be better, but buy what you think looks best.

bfg_rugter_ta_ci2_l.jpg

I run Mickey Thompson Baja STZ in 265/70/17. No issues with abs, transmission, or anything else. They have a fairly aggressive look, but are super smooth and quiet on the road and good off road. Have done well in snow, slush, and rain too.

I got them at Wal-Mart for 170 each.

F41355D1-orig.jpg

Back