2007 mercury mountaineer brake issue? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2007 mercury mountaineer brake issue?

Hairwolf

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 mercury mountaineer
took my truck in for tires pads and rotors. got my truck back and ever since the abs and traction control lights come on for awhile go off then engage while I'm driving. My rear driver side wheel started locking up while I drive as soon as I drove away. None of this happened prior to the replacement.
was told it was my rear exciter ring was messed up and needed a new axle and abs sensor. $500 later I pick it up and exact same thing happened.
Any ideas? totally gun shy of repair facility...not dealer.

You should be, it sounds like those guys are ripping you off. It is sounding like they could have damaged the wires going to one of the ABS sensors when they were doing the previous work. However, if by chance a tone ring (they refer to it as an exciter ring) got knocked loose in the rear then it just needs to get pressed back in place correctly; no new axle (CV half shaft) and sensor just reseat the ring on the half shaft and you are good to go. If it happened while they were doing other repairs then the cost should be on them and not you.
I would personally find out what the stored DTC's are and then go from there, but I would not be paying to have something fixed that happened while the vehicle was in their care.

Back