2007 mountaineer body & suspension lifts? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2007 mountaineer body & suspension lifts?

Thank you, I did a lot of searching and planning before I finally put this combo together. I'm using Truxxx 2.5 inch spacers and a modified Ranger 3 inch body lift. The MTs on 22s I think are what make the fact it's lifted really stand out. My tires were about $1100 shipped, and 80 to have them mounted. It took 3 guys and a tire machine to do it. 33X12.50R22 M/T 10 ply = 72 pounds of tire and about 1 inch thick sidewalls.

Thats not bad at all. I was expecting you to say something along the lines of +$2k. The BFG KO2's I want for an 18" wheel are gonna be more than that, I think it was going to run me about $1200 mounted. Im going for the 20" wheel now, after seeing yours. I love the bigger wheel. Would love a 22" but thats just pushing it for me. I plan on buying another X when I pay this one off, and going the opposite. Lowering and a nice 22" wheel. Best of both worlds.

Could you give a little more info on your modified bodylift?

BTW- You should do a registry for your ride, that way we can all bug you about it in its own thread lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you say modified, what all went along with that? i'm not looking for super modding my truck. But I do want it to be just another inch or 2 taller.
I HAD a factory 1 1/4 inch welded on hitch. I cut that off frame and all about 2 inches infront of the welds. The neat thing is if you get the factory 2 inch bolt on style and flip it upside-down it raises 3 inches just like the bumper. As far as the lift parts themselves, I had to oblong the holes in the front bumper bracket and drill new holes in the frame for the rear bumper bracket and hitch. I also had to get 6 extra bolts because the Ranger ones were the wrong length. I had to drill out the bolt hole in the steering extension but I've read one of the kits comes with the right extension. The hardest part on mine was getting the factory bolts out.

Thats not bad at all. I was expecting you to say something along the lines of +$2k. The BFG KO2's I want for an 18" wheel are gonna be more than that, I think it was going to run me about $1200 mounted. Im going for the 20" wheel now, after seeing yours. I love the bigger wheel. Would love a 22" but thats just pushing it for me. I plan on buying another X when I pay this one off, and going the opposite. Lowering and a nice 22" wheel. Best of both worlds.

BTW- You should do a registry for your ride, that way we can all bug you about it in its own thread lol
Yeah some brands of tires are crazy expensive. I'm really happy with these for the price and low noise for what they are.
I'm new to posting on here but I will look into the registry, I'm happy to help others out if I can.

A note with the hitch, because I flipped it I cut the tow hook off and welded it back on the now bottom side. Also I have to use an 11 inch drop incert for all 3 things I pull regularly to sit level.

Here is my first draft
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/my-lifted-and-supercharged-08-xlt.449338/

Hey I'm wanting to lift my 07 Mercury 2wd and deciding if I should get a leveling kit on it and just replace the struts and shocks getting new bearings already or should I look into a lifting kit and if so what would I need to get? I have 275 65 R18s on rn but I'll probably go bigger tires and rims in the future when I lift it I was looking at a 3 inch lift at the most can anyone help me with deciding the best option

4th gen Xs and Mercs have extremely limited lifting options. Traxda leveling kits, Rancho quick lifts, or modded ranger body lifts are pretty much it unless you're looking to do everything custom. You're pushing your tire limits already, even after any lift. You're gonna need to regear, add BFG upper control arms and pray your joints can support it long term. Lol

4th gen Xs and Mercs have extremely limited lifting options. Traxda leveling kits, Rancho quick lifts, or modded ranger body lifts are pretty much it unless lyou're looking to do everything custom. You're pushing your tire limits already, even after any lift. You're gonna need to regear, add BFG upper control arms and pray your joints can support it long term. Lol
Thanks I already have 275 65 R18 tires on it and would like to go bigger if I can and I was looking at a 3 inch lift at the most what would be my best options at for someone who wouldn't mind the replacement of things like struts etc. but looking for the best options at the same time

I personally have 5.5 inches of lift and 33's on my 08 ex and it is a bit of a pain. I replace wheel bearings on it at least once a year (and I do not use cheap or knock off replacements) I do pull a camper and a boat some. If you want to lift your explorer your only options are
1) Lift Struts
2) Strut Spacers (but can't be combined with option 1)
3) Modded Body Lift
Anything else would have to be completely custom built because no one makes a lift kit for it.

I personally have 5.5 inches of lift and 33's on my 08 ex and it is a bit of a pain. I replace wheel bearings on it at least once a year (and I do not use cheap or knock off replacements) I do pull a camper and a boat some. If you want to lift your explorer your only options are
1) Lift Struts
2) Strut Spacers (but can't be combined with option 1)
3) Modded Body Lift
Anything else would have to be completely custom built because no one makes a lift kit for it.

Also the strut spacers will give you 2 to 2.5 inches of lift and the lift struts seem to give 1.5 to 2 inches of lift. To get a full 3 inch lift would take a body lift or again a custom suspension lift.

Thanks I already have 275 65 R18 tires on it and would like to go bigger if I can and I was looking at a 3 inch lift at the most what would be my best options at for someone who wouldn't mind the replacement of things like struts etc. but looking for the best options at the same time
I personally have strut spacers and run 32s. If you're looking for more lift than 2 inches you're looking at some pretty intricate modding. Strut spacers are popular and don't break the bank. Adding strut spaces + loaded quick lifts is a popular option as well, but will need the BFG upper control arms to even out the cambering issue.

Also the strut spacers will give you 2 to 2.5 inches of lift and the lift struts seem to give 1.5 to 2 inches of lift. To get a full 3 inch lift would take a body lift or again a custom suspension lift.
I disagree actually , I've seen plenty successful option 1 + 2. They've had to regear/add the bfg uppers. But have been pretty successful

I disagree actually , I've seen plenty successful option 1 + 2. They've had to regear/add the bfg uppers. But have been pretty successful
I should have worded that a bit different. They can be run together but it is nearly pointless. I say nearly pointless because when the spacers are combined with the lift struts they begin to cancel out. The BTF uppers would fix the issue of the steering knuckles hitting the coil spring on the strut. The main hight gain issue is there is no way (from a company) to drop the lower control arm, so the spacers cause the springs to compress more. You end up with a little more hight, a much stiffer suspension and some really bad angles on everything.

I should have worded that a bit different. They can be run together but it is nearly pointless. I say nearly pointless because when the spacers are combined with the lift struts they begin to cancel out. The BTF uppers would fix the issue of the steering knuckles hitting the coil spring on the strut. The main hight gain issue is there is no way (from a company) to drop the lower control arm, so the spacers cause the springs to compress more. You end up with a little more hight, a much stiffer suspension and some really bad angles on everything.
That I can agree with lol better option for it all is to become mechanically savvy. Plus have money to blow and just make everything . lol

That I can agree with lol better option for it all is to become mechanically savvy. Plus have money to blow and just make everything . lol
I plan to get spacers for now and get rancho quick lifts later and replace the arms than hopeful the spacers and front end will hold up until then

I have an 08 explorer lifted 5.5 inches. I'm running 33X12.50R22 with 1 inch wheel spacers. The wheel spacers caused it to rub at full lock when flexing. It would clear a narrow 35. I have a 20 ft boat and a 23 ft camper, with the stock 3.55 gears and SCT tuner it was to under powered to comfortably pull them very far. I fixed that with 4.10 gears and a supercharger. I probably have as much in my tires and wheels as I do all my other upgrades combined. If you do the work yourself and shop around you can do the left fairly cheap. Your main options are strut spacers, or Rancho lift struts but don't use both, and modifying a Ranger body lift.
What do you mean by modifying a rangers body lift?

What do you mean by modifying a rangers body lift?
Just like he says, you can adapt a ranger body lift to fit the 4th gen. There are also 1" body lifts you can do to the 4th gens which are a little simpler. So adding the spacers and the 1" body lift wouldn't kill the bank, or your time.

Hey guys quick question about coil springs so are there any lift coil springs for rangers that would fit on an 07 Mountaineer I remembered some of you were talking about a custom ford ranger lift kit would lift springs for a ranger be what you were referring to?

Hey guys quick question about coil springs so are there any lift coil springs for rangers that would fit on an 07 Mountaineer I remembered some of you were talking about a custom ford ranger lift kit would lift springs for a ranger be what you were referring to?
No, the ranger is rear solid axle and ex/mount are IRS. On top of that the IRS half shafts go through the frame. A Ranger body can be modified to work on our ex/mountys but I believe that's it.

Looking to lift my '07 mountaineer premier and put 33" BF Goodrich KO2's on it. It's currently on 30's (235/65/r18). I already found the tires, and I'm looking at the Truxx/Traxda spacers but I know I'm gonna need more lift to fit 33's. I'd like to do the spacers and a 3" body lift, or some combination of suspension/body lift to get about 4/5" of lift. Not looking to spend a grand on a custom kit, so any affordable suggestions are welcome!

I'm running 33s on my 07 without a lift. I just had to trim on the plastic inner fender well for them to clear

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also Rancho has quick lift stuff for the 07 but it's pricey

Back