2007 Ranger ext cab xlt, low heat, a/c just cool, not cold | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2007 Ranger ext cab xlt, low heat, a/c just cool, not cold

20harry11

Reaction score
City, State
northampton PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 ext cab xlt 4.0L V6
Hello All,

I've had a ranger xl 2wd 4.0 and now a 2007 4.0 L xlt 4wd. I just had it on a quick (3day) 2200 mile trip to florida and noted when I got there th a/c was just cool, not cold like usual. made a mental note to check freon when I got home but on the way back noted that the heater was only blowing luke warm
air (and volume may not be good either). Now that I'm home (and its getting cold outside) the heat is Important! So:
I checked dash thermostat and appears to be working Ok, sits at about 11:30
and is steady.
coolant level OK
radiator hoses both get Hot!
Hoses to heater box both get Hot.
dropped glove compartment lid and can feel heater BOX is Hot.
Checked Blend door and it opens to fan when control is put in MAX a/c posiiton (but air does not get cold in cold position and not past luke warm in highest heat position) and closes with all other positions.
I have seen/ read lots of blend door problems and the "heater treater" pages that indicate door problems 1993-2008 but my heater box & door look nothing
like their photo's.
My blend door is hinged horizontally at the top and the control is mounted vertically (vacum driven?) and appears to be working fine. Although
somewhat hard of hearing I detect no Hissing or strange noises!
One thing I have thought about is one of those "cabin filters" but have never read or seen in the Haynes ranger manual or ford user manual that there is even on there (& where).
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Back