2007 Sport Trac Lid Connector Newbie ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2007 Sport Trac Lid Connector Newbie ?

islandtrader

Reaction score
City, State
sw fla
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 xlt
Did some searching first, but no luck. I am sure this has been covered, but pardon me for being a newbie.

In the front of the pick up box there is a storage compartment that goes left to right. To open it you pull a handle that is tucked up under the left side.

The box lid is suppose to pop open and is held open by a small strut...looks sorta like a shock.

Mine is weak and does not work. Went to Ford to get a replacement and list price is $225.00

I can not believe this would cost more that $30.00 and I can not find a after market part. I mean really there is gotta be a gouging law some place.

HELP!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

$225.00 Whoa, I havent seen one of these as Im still in a gen1 looking for a gen2, but wow.

Im not sure about down there, but our version of harbor freight(princess auto) has a surplus section that has many differet length struts, from hood openers to little wee ones. At worst take some measuments and check ebay local surpls stores etc.

Cheers, Todd

Thanks for the reply. That got me thinking. Where do you see a lot of those type of lifts?

BOATS!

I picked up my handy West Marine catalog and low and behold there was a whole page of them...there cost around $25.

I also tried all the lift web sites and none of them had the replacement part.

Can you take a picture? I don't have anything in my bed with struts on it.

BTW - no need to apologize for being new, everybody is sometime! Good to see somebody from sw FL too, still spend like 1/2 my year there.

Picture

When looking at the rear window from the back of the truck it is on the left side of the hatch when it opens.

It is approx. 8 inches long and 5.75 inches compressed.

Where are you in SW FL? I am near Boca Grande (not Raton).

liftsupport.jpg

Can you take a picture? I don't have anything in my bed with struts on it.

BTW - no need to apologize for being new, everybody is sometime! Good to see somebody from sw FL too, still spend like 1/2 my year there.
My 08 does not have it either.

Check this "StrongArm" universal gas spring catalog. Looks like the first listing is your choices just don't get them too strong.

StrongArm application

Where to buy.

Thanks for the information.

How does the 08 hatch lid stay open?
It weighs about 2 pounds. it just leans up against the back wall. It seems to be so tight it has friction holding it as well.

Well maybe that explains why it cost $225.00 for the strut. The first year they put it in and after that they said hell with it.

I think when you release the latch the strut is suppose to pop it and then lift it open and keep it in place. I will find out when I get the part.

Do you really need it? How heavy is your cover?

I was thinking the same thing I mean in 2 years I have not even used mine.

The whole idea was not to spend $150.00 but to get a replacement part at a fair price.

Thanks to ncranchero post I found the part for $16.00

To answer the other questions is yes I use the storage area, and I liked the idea of pulling the release catch and having the lid pop open. :D

Glad you decided the StrongArm springs would work. I hope you got the weakest ones.

It's always a good thing when it pops up on demand!:D

We used the StrongArm as replacements on the compartment doors of one of the Rescue trucks. When the FF's came to get it and check it out they popped the latch and it knocked one of the guys on his a**. :D:D We had to swap them for weaker versions.

,,,To answer the other questions is yes I use the storage area, and I liked the idea of pulling the release catch and having the lid pop open. :D
I wonder if yours is larger than newer years. My cover is about 44 inches by 10 inches. I keep a rope, roll of duct tape, shovel and a bag of lye in it. No remote release, just a small twist lock handle.
We also have a pair at the tailgate behind the tire wells. 6 inches by 14 inches or so, big enough for a set of tire chains.

Hey you never know.

I wonder if yours is larger than newer years. My cover is about 44 inches by 10 inches. I keep a rope, roll of duct tape, shovel and a bag of lye in it. No remote release, just a small twist lock handle.
We also have a pair at the tailgate behind the tire wells. 6 inches by 14 inches or so, big enough for a set of tire chains.

Truck is gone for the weekend...(a buddy using it). When it shows up Sunday I will measure and take a picture of the whole set up.

I think that this may have give Ford a little head ache in the warranty area and thus the switch in 2008.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pictures

OK here is the skinny. Approx 11" X 40"

Hatch
IMG00152-20110221-1551.jpg

Release information

IMG00153-20110221-1552.jpg

Picture of Strut

IMG00154-20110221-1552.jpg

Back