2007 Sport Trac problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Showboatsix

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Sport trac
2007 Sport Trac. 155 K miles

I have several problems: (other than these listed the PU has been a great truck.)

1. Can not keep exhaust gaskets from leaking.
Three new manifolds on right, one on left. (Ford gaskets and Felpro)
Switched to bolts and again back to studs
Nothing works after about 5K miles the leaks come back.

2. Airbag light on steady, no flashes, new battery (so not low voltage)

3. Heater controls on steering wheel do not operate. (Cruise control does)

4. Radio controls on steering wheel do not operate. (Cruise control does)

5. Dual A/C / Heater: RH vents blow cold when asking for heat, and hot when asking for cold, intermittent sound of doors opening and closing on right hand side while driving.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are the manifolds warping, which cause the leak? Not doubting you, seems very bizarre you'd go thru the expense, headache, and hassle of changing the right side 3 times. Mine leak too, for about 15 seconds after start-up, then quiet down. Its a 4.6L, right?

As far as your airbag light & steering wheel controls - common point of failure could be the clock spring. Does the horn work? Double check with a dealer, but I believe its part number is 8L2Z14A664B. Does seem odd that cruise control would work though. Do the buttons illuminate at night?

The heat & air issue likely a blender door. Never messed with mine, but from what I recall reading, getting to the blender box is every bit as fun as exhaust manifold work.

Are the manifolds warping, which cause the leak? Not doubting you, seems very bizarre you'd go thru the expense, headache, and hassle of changing the right side 3 times. Mine leak too, for about 15 seconds after start-up, then quiet down. Its a 4.6L, right?

As far as your airbag light & steering wheel controls - common point of failure could be the clock spring. Does the horn work? Double check with a dealer, but I believe its part number is 8L2Z14A664B. Does seem odd that cruise control would work though. Do the buttons illuminate at night?

The heat & air issue likely a blender door. Never messed with mine, but from what I recall reading, getting to the blender box is every bit as fun as exhaust manifold work.
Yes they are, I have used Ford products and aftermarket, same results, Will look into the clockspring ideas.

Thanks

My 2007 sport trac has just about the same milage and my A/C was doing the same thing. I've read that the blend doors need to be replaced. If you pull the side panels off your center console you can see them. There's one on each side. Now this is weird, I loosened the bolts and unplugged the connectors on each with the intention of pulling them out. But I ended up having to stop because I had to go somewhere, so I tightened everything back and reconnected them. The A/C has worked right ever since. I'm not going to mess with them again unless they stop working again. Don't fix it if it ain't broke, lol.

Hi,

I installed new studs in LH Exhaust, seems to have cured the leak for now.
Also I replaced the clock spring with a new one, that solved my airbag light, and steering wheel functions.

Thanks for the ideas.

Back