2007 Sport Trac Rear Driveshaft Vibration | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2007 Sport Trac Rear Driveshaft Vibration

jaredb09

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer ST
My Sport Trac developed a vibration a few months ago, at about 100,000 miles, from 45 mph on up. Felt like it's coming from the rear, but definitely a drivetrain vibration. Saw that the carrier bearing was worn out in the rear driveshaft, so replaced the whole unit with Fort Wayne Clutch's serviceable replacement driveshaft. This did not fix or change the vibration at all.

Started troubleshooting. Removed the front driveshaft, drove it only with the rear. Vibration still existed. Removed the rear driveshaft, and drove only on the front. Vibration wasn't there. So, I suspected the new rear driveshaft was out of balance.

Had the new driveshaft rebalanced by Fort Wayne Clutch. They said that it was balanced well already, but they did put a couple more small weights on it. Reinstalled the driveshaft, and the vibration is still there, but seems slightly better. Fort Wayne Clutch advises that there may be something wrong with the rear end.

Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tried that. I've noticed that the left rear CV axle is a little looser than the right one. I'm going to replace it soon and see if that helps things.

Any luck figuring it out?

I have the same issue and even brought it to the dealer after my regular shop couldn't isolate the problem. They of course want to replace the whole rear end and shaft.

Update

Update:

So far, I've replaced the rear driveshaft, and both rear CV axles. No change in the vibration. I'm running out of ideas.

It can't be the rear end or tires or half shafts. You have done a great job diagnosing the problem. Let's look at it this way you have already found the problem the rear drive shaft. If you removed it and the vibration stopped that's the culprit. Here is my thinking the rear end, half shafts and tires are all still turning when you drive even if the rear drive shaft is out. So if they were the problem you would still have the vibration. I'm guessing it's the new drive shaft. I would take it to someone else and have them balance it. Based on your diagnostics it seems that has to be the issue.

I agree

Back