2008/2009 sport trac information | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2008/2009 sport trac information

thirteen13

Reaction score
first timer on this forum. i'm in the market for a new vehicle and i'm seriously considering the explorer sport trac 2008 or 2009 model. i've read all the new car reviews however what i'm looking for is from owners. what is your experience with the sport trac. more importantly is this vehicle reliable? is there any big maintenance issues? also, how is it on gas. is this a gas guzzler or is it ok?

any input would be appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I only have 400 miles on mine right now it's a v-8 and it sucks on gas mileage right now. All new vehicles need about 5000 or more miles to break in you will see better mpg with more miles. I am averaging 14 mpg but that is not highway it's between 35-60 mph and with hills. I love the way it rides and handles but the 6 speed trans shifts are mushy I am waiting for SCT to get the codes for the trans so the shifting is better and I will get a tune. I also just got a cold air intake and a magnaflow muffler both should get me 1-2 mpg increase. I am hoping between the mods and tune that I get 16-17 around town and over 20 on highway.

Welcome 1313,

I have only owned my ST Adrenalin since January 2nd so (thankfully) I can't really offer my opinion on any issues.

What I will say is I love this truck.

I see Ford is still offering the employee plus pricing on the 2008 models. If you can find a Sport Trac that you like I'm sure you get get a good deal.
Between the employee pricing plus incentives and negotiating I got my STA for $8,600 below MSRP.

What else can I say? Get the Sport Trac Adrenalin if you can! :thumbsup:

Charlie

(1) Regardless of what we say here, you just go try one out for yourself... then come back and tell US what YOU think.
(2) check out www.youtube.com for a comparison of Ford SportTrac vs. Ridgeline, Tacoma, & Dakota. This video is very inciteful. It made me a believer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2YlH_nhLcU

(3) Note: Ford quality is now on par with Toyota per J.D.Power and others.
(4) Mileage for this V8 4X4 is on par with other 4X4's, including imports... Mileage dropped in this supercold weather, but so did my Acura. I'm expecting to get results similar to other ST owners on this forum (22 - 26 mpg highway) when it warms up.
(5) Unbeliveable deals right now... Honda won't give comparable deals on a Ridgeline. Have been a loyal Honda/Acura owner since 1985. Couldn't get a deal. Couldn't even get them to talk to me... and I go there for service on my car. Didn't want my business apparently.
(6) I love my new white STA... it feels safe, stable, has very nice power, very smooth 6-speed transmission, great options on this vehicle, plus it has independent rear suspension ... nobody else has that!

I have an 08xlt v6 4x4 only had it since aug so i am only at 2400 miles so far it has exceeded my expectations , my milege ranges from 10-13mpg but I dont do alot of driving since a tank of gas will last me 2 weeks this is the first time i have ever had a car that was at least usable in snow

I got a new '08 V6 a year ago December, have 18,000 miles on it and it's been back to the dealer exactly once for a power window switch that quit working.
Had an '05 Sport Trac before, ride and handling on the '08 is so vastly better that is isn't funny. OTOH, it's not as off-roady as my old one and I'm not going to be muddin' in it.
My driving is a mix, I average 14-15 mpg on a tank. With the exhaust I'll get over 20 mpg on the highway if it's flat and I keep it under 70. It won't be a gas mileage champ no matter what you do.
My only complaint is the factory Goodyear tires are utterly awful and downright dangerous when it comes to braking in the snow. Curiously, it goes and turns without spinning a tire, the only problem comes when you try to stop. If it doesn't snow where you live then I wouldn't worry about it.

I have been watching the mileage also. Mine is a 4.6L AWD.
The digital reading on the Adrenalin is usually between 14.7 - 15.4 mpg and thats not taking it slow. I run between 65 - 70 mph or faster on the highway.(this MPG is very close to my Lightning)

The best mileage I saw via the digital reading was 18.1 mpg, I was driving home slow from dealership.

I only have about 4000 miles and I have not modified anything under the hood yet.
When I checked my mileage against a fuel reciept, I seem to have been getting about 16 mph around town and about 18 highway.
That is traving at the speed limit in cruise.

Keep in mind with Cold air intake, exhaust and a tuning I am sure you could get 20 mpg.
Anything you can do to make it more effiecient.

I have an 08 STA V8 with about 4800 miles on it and so far it is great. The STA has a smooth ride and it's really quiet. Not sure what's going on maybe the cooler weather maybe just a mental thing but all of a sudden this thing has really come alive. The transmission shifts effortlessly and smooth and the power is not that of a lightning but it does fine in traffic. I'm getting about 14.5 - 15 mpg city and between 18.5 and 20 highway depending on my cruise set at 75 or set at 85. It handles really well for a little4700lb truck.

I have an 08 STA V8 with about 4800 miles on it and so far it is great. The STA has a smooth ride and it's really quiet. Not sure what's going on maybe the cooler weather maybe just a mental thing but all of a sudden this thing has really come alive. The transmission shifts effortlessly and smooth and the power is not that of a lightning but it does fine in traffic. I'm getting about 14.5 - 15 mpg city and between 18.5 and 20 highway depending on my cruise set at 75 or set at 85. It handles really well for a little4700lb truck.

Adrnlnrush,

I just checked out your cardomain site. That's a very nice looking truck!
I need to know. Is there an oval indentation where the Ford emblem once was? I can't see it in your picture.

AdrenalinRushTailgate.jpg

Hey Adrnlin Rsh...

WOW!!!! Why didn't they do it this way in the first place?
It looks so-o-o-o much better that stock.
Appreciate your PhotoShop creativity...
it's nice to "see" the possibilities.

Wonder what the emblems were done like on the original "AutoShow" version of the Adenalin?

Thanks again!

Pssssst. Wanna know a secret???? Rumour has it that White is "the fastest colour". Some glad I got one too!

CODell85GT

fogghornn has it, the picture was doctored so that I could see what it would look like without the Ford oval and I wanted to see what others thought. I will definitely need to use a body shop to shave the emblem.

CODell85GT

fogghornn has it, the picture was doctored so that I could see what it would look like without the Ford oval and I wanted to see what others thought. I will definitely need to use a body shop to shave the emblem.

I did the same thing to my STA last night. I thought that may be the case.
DSC_0104-1-1.jpg

I like the cleaned up look alot. I figure sooner or later I'll have the bed hooks and emblems shaved.

Charlie

I'm on my second Sport Trac, having recently traded in my 2001 Generation 1 with 160,000 miles (and no major problems...wear and tear) for an '08 Limited V8 4X4. It was time for an upgrade, and the deals were incredible.

No problems as of yet with the '08...and it has some nice upgrades over the '01.

One thing I did not like with the '08 was the smaller OEM Michelin's, but I took care of that by replacing them with 275 65R18 Michelin A/T 2's. Much nicer!

Soon I'll be adding a SS Aeries brush guard, PIAA driving lights, a K&N cold air intake and (hopefully) a slight lift.

I spent a lot of time comparing other vehicles (i.e. Toyota Tacoma) to the Trac and determined that, for the money, nothing else in its class could touch it for power, comfort, interior finish and versatility.

Back