• Register Today It's free!

2008 4.6 EB - Available Mods?

Grn_xlt

Reaction score
City, State
Southborough, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
I just traded in my 1998 XLT for a new EB 4.6 and love it. I would like to add a few modifications to increase fuel economy and power. Once broken in, I will change out the fluids for synthetic. I have already increased tire pressure to 40. I am wondering if anyone has experience with the following mods on a 2008 V8:

1) Electric Radiator Fan - Which flex-a-lite would be best for the 2008 4.6 engine?

2) Underdrive Crank Pulley - I would like to swap for a lightweight underdrive crank pulley but have not found any for a 2008 4.6 - any recommendations?

3) Computer Reprogramming - OBDII flasher for the 2008 4.6?

Thanks for the help.

Another Idea

With no responses, I am assuming that nobody has tried any of these with the 2008 V8.

I know that the radiator fan, pulley and tuner are available for earlier models. Does anyone have any thoughts on using parts for a 2006 V8 on a 2008?

Also, I would be very interested in others and especially Al's perspective on the MPG potential of the 4.6. I am still under 1000 miles totally stock running New England winter gas and, when running under 70, can get 20mpg to 22mpg on the built in computer.

I appreciate any comments or help.

Well seeing its a 2008 congrats on your buy and not to many ppl here own a 2008 explorer and as for your Modifications i can't find anything for a crank pully your looking for.

The flexlite fans, well you can search on the manufacturers website for such fans to use, but to install them you will need someone here who knows what and where and how to do so without voiding any warranty in the process.

Oh as for flashing the computer there is threads about computer tuning and a few places/ppl that do that for such vehicles, try a search for OBDII tuning.

You always have to worry about warranty being voided on a new vehicle or any that has warranty left on them when doing mods.

Me i am different if i had a 2008 now, i would leave it be until 2013.

Thanks for the response. The warranty concern is legitmate so I would not consider larger scale mods like engine rebuilds, supercharger, etc. It seems that the electric fan is very dependable in Ford trucks generally and I already have experience with a lightweight underdrive crank pulley in another of my cars.

I owned my last Explorer for 10 years so I figure that I will own this one as long, get the easy things done early and get 10 years of benefit and payback on my investment. I will do some additional searching as you suggested.

Any thoughts on fuel economy potential? My preliminary thought is 25 to 26 hwy.

Back