• Register Today It's free!

2008 coolant problem?

terryj911

Reaction score
City, State
marksville louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 explorer
Hey everyone, I have a 2008 2 wheel drive with 4.0 V6. there is a "hot coolant" smell under the hood while engine is running. no smell inside cab. does not loose coolant, even got my local shop to pressure it up, even he said it smells like coolant on a hot engine, however cant seem to find any leaks!! Please help, has anyone come across this before? I'm taking my 2 kids on a 2,000 mile round trip to Disney next month and I'm concerned with this, any help would be greatly appreciated, Thank You.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you can not any leaks and you have had it pressure tested and found nothing, I would be inclined to say drive it.

Also check the intake valley.
I had a similar experience and it turned out to be the temp sensor leaked at times dripping into the valley.(hey a copper part in a plastic body with a wide range of temps. Heck who knew that it might leak. Not the engineers at ford obviously . But I'd bet the average kid in science class would raise an eyebrow and be able to guess the outcome)
So when ever I looked for the leak everything would look dry except I noticed the white chalky residue from dried antifreeze around the water outlet making it look like it seep leaked from the thermostat housing. So bought a new gasket for the t-stat housing but before I could install it I had to go out of town for work and when I returned 3 days later something told me to pop the hood and take a look before I started it to go home and found the temp sensor surrounded by coolant. Pulled the sensor and replaced the O-ring and added a little RTV around it while I was at it and so far so good.
Like you I noticed the smell but really didn't lose a noticeable amount of antifreeze

Back