2008 Explorer 4WD-Latest year engine I can substitute? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2008 Explorer 4WD-Latest year engine I can substitute?

Jordan4461

Reaction score
City, State
Asheboro, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Hello folks,
I would like to find a later-model engine for when my old tired original dies, and do the engine transplant thing with something with low miles if possible. Anyone know if a 2009-2010 engine is a direct bolt-in replacement? Will I need to re-use my throttle body and computer from the original, or do they even matter in this instance?
Thanks!
Jordan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you can use the sohc engine from a 2004-2011 Ranger or Explorer

As 410 said anything 2004 on will do. I think ford switched the timing cassette material in 2007 or so. So I would go for an 09-11

....and I assume Jordan has the v6 model :)
I did not see it anywhere.

4.0 SOHC. I wouldn't bother if it was an OVH Valve model. Cheaper to just buy a used engine than go through the timing chain issues. Ugh.

What issues with timing chains on 4.0 ? :)

Did you talk to Eddie lately ?

PS: Either it's a phobia or what but I need to take our 07 to a mechanic to tell me what are those noises coming from the engine. I listened from every angle, with stethoscope, accessory belt on and off, in gear and in N and can't figure it out. Hope those are not my chains, but probably they are the culprit.

Your 07 should have the “updated” chain cassettes. I’m hopefull that my late 2006 has them too. Mine was built in April of 2006, and so far no noise now at 133,000. And original trans! Tick, tick, tick, BOOM!

Back