2008 Explorer clunking while turning at slow speeds. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2008 Explorer clunking while turning at slow speeds.

Dcodd87

Reaction score
City, State
Washington, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer XLT 4.0L
I have a 2008 Ford Explorer clunking while turning left or right at slow speeds. Usually happens pulling out or backing out of a parking spot. I have pretty much replaced my entire front end. Upper/lower control arms, inner and outer tie rod, new shock/strut with mounts, sway bar link, and cv axle. This has been done on both sides. My front hubs were replaced about a year ago.
The only item left is the rack and pinion, and I’m not sure it’s the issue as the clunking seems to be coming from the driver and passenger sides. Could be wrong though.
Any suggestions on what I should be looking for next?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Universal joint in front driveshaft?
Excessive play in front differential?

It you’ve got high mileage I’d just go ahead and replace the u joints. They are a wear item, and most never get any new grease.

CV shafts come to my mind right away. Check for grease coming out of the boots.

CV shafts come to my mind right away. Check for grease coming out of the boots.
I recall that you chased a front end noise in the 2006 a while back

yeah, I chased many of them. In one case my front end noise turned out to be the rear bearing :), in another case it ended up a transfer case bearing. But it was constant humming, clunking points to a u-joint I think.

PS: Good to hear from you Mike, haven't seen you posting in a while. And I see a 2020 model in the stables LOL, congrats

Back