2008 Explorer EB w/ Navigation - Adding Sync | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2008 Explorer EB w/ Navigation - Adding Sync

nbruno

Reaction score
Hi everybody. Hoping somebody with more knowledge than me can help me with this. Just would like to note that I'm not looking to install an aftermarket system.

I have a 2008 Explorer Eddie Bauer with every option except Sync. The Navigation radio has the Phone button on it, but pressing it does nothing. I want to add Sync to my Explorer. I know there isn't an add-on for a 2008 Explorer. However, I can find most (if not all) of the parts for the Sync system on fordparts.com for a 2008 Explorer, namely:

1. The Sync Module "Audio Accessory Interface Module" (14D212)
2. The USB connector cable (14D202)
3. The bezel that the AUX input and USB connector in the center console sit in (19C149)
4. The steering wheel controls with the Sync phone button (9C888)

That's all I think I need, but that may be wrong.

Basically, my question is this. If I can buy all of the parts for the Sync system, can I install them and get the system functional? I don't understand why Ford would put the "Phone" button on my radio if this wasn't possible, which is why I'm eager to get it working.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the same question but can't seem to find the answer.

Hi everybody. Hoping somebody with more knowledge than me can help me with this. Just would like to note that I'm not looking to install an aftermarket system.

I have a 2008 Explorer Eddie Bauer with every option except Sync. The Navigation radio has the Phone button on it, but pressing it does nothing. I want to add Sync to my Explorer. I know there isn't an add-on for a 2008 Explorer. However, I can find most (if not all) of the parts for the Sync system on fordparts.com for a 2008 Explorer, namely:

3. The bezel that the AUX input and USB connector in the center console sit in (19C149)

Basically, my question is this. If I can buy all of the parts for the Sync system, can I install them and get the system functional? I don't understand why Ford would put the "Phone" button on my radio if this wasn't possible, which is why I'm eager to get it working.

Thanks.

Did you ever try this?

No. Don't want to waste money if it won't work.

Not to mention steering wheel clockspring, wiring for that.

will it work if i do this also setup as well??? i really want to know

The radio itself is a different part # IIRC. Check what model yours is and try to see what model is on fordparts for sync.

It's a $300 option when new...but I bet it will cost far more now.

Lol, the original post was from 2011. I think they've dealt with it by now.

That aftermarket option doesn't give you Sync, it just gives you Sync like capabilities via an aftermarket head unit.

Thanks.

you need the sync kit called T-harness 399 from ebay

Back