2008 Explorer hesitation while driving | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2008 Explorer hesitation while driving

Clwest

Reaction score
City, State
Paoli, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 ford explorer
I have a 2008 Eddie Bauer, 93K miles. About 9 mo ago it started hesitating while accelerating - mainly up hills. Took it in and there were error codes for the 4th cylinder so they changed the ignition coil and spark plug. It drove fine for about a month and started hesitating again - not always on hills, random speeds, usually over 40 mph. Took it back in after a few months of this and they cleaned the MAF. It drove fine for a few weeks and the hesitation started again.

I'd fiddled with the adjustable gas/brake pedals and it seemed like there was less hesitation when the pedals were closer to the floor. Then, about 4 weeks ago, I was driving and there was no response from the gas pedal. It went right to the floor. Then it worked again, then it didn't. Pulled over and turned it on and off a few times and the gas pedal worked again.

I took it to a new mechanic the next day and they found no error codes at all and nothing wrong with it. The mechanic surmised that it was either a throttle something issue or gas pedal sensor. He'd seen both go wrong with the same result. I had him replace the gas pedal sensor and it drove fine for 2 weeks and now the hesitation is back. It's not constant, maybe happens 5x in an hour of driving. Accelerating stops it.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When this happens, does it shake or does it simply not accelerate? If it shakes, replace all of the spark plugs.

It shakes, I think. When I had the incident with the gas pedal going all the way to the floor there was no acceleration.

Shaking is a sign of misfires, so replace the spark plugs. Note that you MAY have one of the vehicles with the EVIL spark plugs, so either do it yourself and VERY carefully follow the instructions or pick a shop that you trust completely and that understands the problems with Ford spark plugs. I think the plug removal procedure is somewhere on this site.

** I found the TSB, but it's only for the V-8 engines. Apparently if it's a V-6, just change the plugs like you normally would **

http://www.phila.gov/fleet/Warranty Recalls/tsb08-07-06 FORD.pdf

If there were misfires would there be error codes? I have a V8 and zero mechanical skills so I'd have someone do it..

Only after it misfires continuously, mine had to misfire for 3-4 seconds before the light started flashing. Also the light wont come on and stay on til it does it twice.

Back