2008 Explorer. Over sized tires vs. Lift. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2008 Explorer. Over sized tires vs. Lift.

Tone232

Reaction score
City, State
Seaside Park, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Explorer
I have a 2008 Ford Explorer (6-cylinder) and was looking to lift it 2"-3". I was wondering if I should look into lifting the suspension, or just purchasing over sized tires, since it is a relatively small lift. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is your motive? Will it be used 4wheeling or for looks? 265/75/16 or 265/70/17 is the largest you can go without a lift.

It's more for looks. The only real 4 wheeling that I do is on the beach, nothing to crazy.

And 265/70/17 will also fit without any rubbing?

Could you use your SCT XCal3 to adjust the odometer while having bigger tires installed?

Could you use your SCT XCal3 to adjust the odometer while having bigger tires installed?

Yes, I have done this and it reads correctly when compared with GPS. Well, the ECU speed matches the GPS speed at least which means the odometer is right. My speedometer needle seems to read 2.5 mph fast even with stock tires and this has remained constant when changing to larger tires and recalibrating. I believe this is not that unusual as several other 3rd Gen explorers have reported this.

greetings Tone232,

Originally had 235/70/R16's on my 06 explorer. Switched them out for a set of the Wrangler Authority 235/85/R16's. they fill up the wheel well a lot better and give about 2 inches of lift. only minor rubbing on front tires, (back inside of them on trim pieces) but this only occurs when turning sharply. hope this helps

hey, tone 232,
did you change your tires? how about your rims, did you use the original ones....I've got the same vehicle .....

boboy,

I haven't changed out my tires yet. I've been dragging my feet on this for too long. I have my sights set on a set of 17" TSW rims with 265/70/17 BF Goodrich tires. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

I finally put new wheels on my Explorer. I went with 17"x8" TSW Donnington (Matte Black) rims and 265/70R17 BF Goodrich Mud Terrain T/A KM2 tires. The wheels lifted my tuck 1.5 inched and it looks amazing. I would upload pictures, but I don't think I can. Thanks for the help.

I finally put new wheels on my Explorer. I went with 17"x8" TSW Donnington (Matte Black) rims and 265/70R17 BF Goodrich Mud Terrain T/A KM2 tires. The wheels lifted my tuck 1.5 inched and it looks amazing. I would upload pictures, but I don't think I can. Thanks for the help.

You can use a site like photobucket to host the pictures

Thanks. I picked up the tires from Tirecrwler.com, the rims from Amazon.com (free shipping) and the tire pressure sensors from AmericanMuscle.com. The tire pressure sensors are for Mustangs, but are compatible with Explorers of the same year. The sensors are also an upgrade, because they are in the tires valve stem and not banded and glued to the rim.

Tire Crawler:
http://tirecrawler.com/shop/detail_tire.php?product_id=6037

Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/TSW-Donington...7&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=tsw+donnington+17inch

American Muscle:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/tpms-fullkit.html

Looks great , any rubbing while turning or off road suspension cycling?

Thanks. There's very little rubbing when cutting the wheel all the way (turning the wheel past where it will naturally likes to stop). I haven't taken it serious off-roading yet, but i took it on some trails and there hasn't been any rubbing issues yet.

That's a great looking Explorer, Tone! The wheels and tires are sick. How's the ride compared to stock?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Willied. The ride is a little bit rougher then the stocks, but that's to be expected going from passenger (P) grade tires to light truck (LT) tires. I was use to the ride about an hour after I got them installed, the difference is small (in my opinion). These tires make a good amount of noise when on the pavement, but I don't mind it. I actually like it.

Back