2008 Explorer pop/clack sound when shifting into reverse (video) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2008 Explorer pop/clack sound when shifting into reverse (video)

relentless85

Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
2008 Ford Explorer 40.L 4X4. Started to notice a pop/clack sound coming from the rear. This usually happens when the vehicle has been sitting overnight or for an extended amount of time. Usually sounds worse when the temperature is cold out side.

When I press and hold the brake, shift into reverse, there is a pop/clack sound. Here is a link to the video. You hear the sound at about 0:12 - 0:14 seconds, the loud pop/clack.

Sounds like something needs to be lubed? I can't pin point where the sound is coming from? Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds a lot like a brake shoe clacking.
1. Get a helper. You do the same thing you did in the video. Other guy squat behind the vehicle (you make sure you hold that brake tight!!), listening to verify whether the noise is coming from right rear, left rear, or something in the center.
2. Assuming it's coming from 1 of the wheel-ends, try to see if it happens when the brakes aren't being used. For this, you need to chock at least 2 wheels very well (more than just 2x4s), so putting in reverse without brake input won't let the vehicle role. Barely touch the brakes to make the brake lights shine, and allow shifting to reverse, but not enough to actually engage the brakes.
a. If you do not get the noise, then the problem is the brakes, on that side. See if you lost an abutment clip, or maybe just time for a brake job.
b. If you still get the noise (with no brakes applied), then the brakes are not the problem. Get back to us.

The rear brakes are disc with pads and calipers. Would the rear brakes make noise like that even with disc brakes and not rear drum brakes?

Once it gets warm and stops sleeting I will look at the pads/calipers/rotors. I will try what you suggested, might be a little difficult since it tends to only do it once when it’s been sitting a while.

The rear brakes are disc with pads and calipers. Would the rear brakes make noise like that even with disc brakes and not rear drum brakes?

Once it gets warm and stops sleeting I will look at the pads/calipers/rotors. I will try what you suggested, might be a little difficult since it tends to only do it once when it’s been sitting a while.
I believe the rear emergency brakes are drums inside the hub. Have a history of problems.

I believe the rear emergency brakes are drums inside the hub. Have a history of problems.
Ford never put a good p brake on xploders man. my 1997 had been replaced and adjusted twice by two different shops. Never worked right.

Back