2008 Explorer Sport Trac Transmission Problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2008 Explorer Sport Trac Transmission Problem

dfraire21

Reaction score
First off i want to say hello to everyone. I don't know if I'm posting in the correct place but here goes.

I have a 2008 Sport Trac XLT 96,000 miles. This morning I went to start the truck as I usually do every morning. However today it would not go into reverse. I let it roll down the driveway and shifted to drive. At first it would not move then after reving the engine it finally engaged. I drove it around the block, however it would not go above 20mph. I took it to the dealership to get a diagnostic. After a few hours they called me back saying they needed to drop the pan for further inspection at a price of 300 dollars.On top of the diagnostic fee. I declined when I picked the truck up they said it could be a torque converter (least case senario) or it need a complete new transmission (worst case senario). Thats all they could tell me and said all electric components were good. I was not satisfied with their troubleshooting and decided to get a second opinion. I took it to a local transmission shop with over 25 years in service and highly respected in our community. He gave me a free diagnosis. He said and I quote " if your reverse gear is gone the whole transmission needs to be replaced". I wanted to know how true this is. Any info that can be given will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I took it to a local transmission shop with over 25 years in service and highly respected in our community. He gave me a free diagnosis. He said and I quote " if your reverse gear is gone the whole transmission needs to be replaced". I wanted to know how true this is.
True sadly

Sounds like new tranny, I'm surprised you didn't feel anything different before the reverse quit...

Back