2008 Explorer Stalling 4.6l, 2WD | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

2008 Explorer Stalling 4.6l, 2WD

Shano

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer 4.6, 2WD
Hello ,
Just recently the Explorer started to stall when driving or when idling after about 10 minutes. After 10 or 15 minutes it will start again. We dropped it off at Ford dealership and they replaced a steering sensor and gave us a list of codes.
P0600, P060A, P1260,P061F.
Im starting simple so I changed out fuel filter first. I myself own old trucks and I work on them myself, this 2008 Explorer has a lot of sensors and such I don't normally see. Any direction would be appreciated.
Thank you.
2008 4.6L, 2WD, 175,00 miles

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Explorer_PL

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Rockland County, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
06EB V8
Most of them point to issues with PCM.
Check the connections to the PCM on the passenger side corner under the hood: there should be 3 big connectors, un-clip them, clean them, see if any wires are missing insulation and so on.

It may be your PCM going bad, not very common.

Is it still stalling after the sensor replacement ?

<

Shano

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer 4.6, 2WD
Yes sir, it's still stalling. I left off a couple more codes to they are P2105, and U0300.
I'm going to try and find a scanner that records and hit the road today. Maybe I can figure it out.
I'll inspect the connections to pcm and clean them. I've crawled all over the engine looking for a short or exposed wires.

<

Explorer_PL

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Rockland County, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
06EB V8
Check the wires right before the connectors going to throttle body, and MAF. On both of my Explorers, once I touched them, the insulation disintegrated - I guess from the heat.

<

<

Shano

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer 4.6, 2WD
None yet. I spent the weekend looking for any shorts in the wiring harness. I tested the connectors to everything that has a connection (power is getting to everything)
I also tested the fuel pressure up until the time the vehicle stalled. There was no interruption high or low.

<

Shano

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer 4.6, 2WD
Installed a throttle body and the explorer ran for about 15 minutes. I have some new codes
P0010 camshaft position actuator circuit open bank 1
P0020 a camshaft position actuator circuit open bank 2
P2105 intake manifold runner position switch circuit

<

Drewmcg

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ann Arbor, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 XLT 4WD
2002 XLS 2WD
Starting to sound like it might be a V-8 engine thing, which unfortunately I cannot help with.

<

Shano

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer 4.6, 2WD
After doing all could. I towed the Explorer to the shop that does the maintenance on our work trucks.
The PCM was at fault. So they ordered a new computer and programmed it. All I needed to do was put a new coil pack in the #7 cyilin der to get rid of a misfire code.

<

tripplec

Reaction score
City, State
Bowmanville, ON Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Explorer LTD AWD
Hmmm bummer when the PCM goes. A tough pill to swallow. How did they arrive at the PCM at fault?

<