2008 Explorer Stalling 4.6l, 2WD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2008 Explorer Stalling 4.6l, 2WD

Shano

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer 4.6, 2WD
Hello ,
Just recently the Explorer started to stall when driving or when idling after about 10 minutes. After 10 or 15 minutes it will start again. We dropped it off at Ford dealership and they replaced a steering sensor and gave us a list of codes.
P0600, P060A, P1260,P061F.
Im starting simple so I changed out fuel filter first. I myself own old trucks and I work on them myself, this 2008 Explorer has a lot of sensors and such I don't normally see. Any direction would be appreciated.
Thank you.
2008 4.6L, 2WD, 175,00 miles

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most of them point to issues with PCM.
Check the connections to the PCM on the passenger side corner under the hood: there should be 3 big connectors, un-clip them, clean them, see if any wires are missing insulation and so on.

It may be your PCM going bad, not very common.

Is it still stalling after the sensor replacement ?

Yes sir, it's still stalling. I left off a couple more codes to they are P2105, and U0300.
I'm going to try and find a scanner that records and hit the road today. Maybe I can figure it out.
I'll inspect the connections to pcm and clean them. I've crawled all over the engine looking for a short or exposed wires.

Check the wires right before the connectors going to throttle body, and MAF. On both of my Explorers, once I touched them, the insulation disintegrated - I guess from the heat.

None yet. I spent the weekend looking for any shorts in the wiring harness. I tested the connectors to everything that has a connection (power is getting to everything)
I also tested the fuel pressure up until the time the vehicle stalled. There was no interruption high or low.

Installed a throttle body and the explorer ran for about 15 minutes. I have some new codes
P0010 camshaft position actuator circuit open bank 1
P0020 a camshaft position actuator circuit open bank 2
P2105 intake manifold runner position switch circuit

Starting to sound like it might be a V-8 engine thing, which unfortunately I cannot help with.

After doing all could. I towed the Explorer to the shop that does the maintenance on our work trucks.
The PCM was at fault. So they ordered a new computer and programmed it. All I needed to do was put a new coil pack in the #7 cyilin der to get rid of a misfire code.

Hmmm bummer when the PCM goes. A tough pill to swallow. How did they arrive at the PCM at fault?

Back