2008 Explorer stranded on hwy HELP | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2008 Explorer stranded on hwy HELP

IcantDo55

Reaction score
City, State
Va Beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Ranger 3.0V6
Live in Va Beach and a friend and his dog and 4 year old were headed to Florida this morning and made it 3 hours from here and 2008 Explorer v6 just dies in hwy and rolled to stop. Turns over but does not try to start.

Had it towed to Auto zone and the dummies at auto zone sold him a battery and alternator he did not need (it turns over fine).

He then called me, had him check spark with screwdriver in plug wire and there is none.

What common cause for it to loose spark suddenly on hwy?
I'm not a explorer export so I was hopeing you guys could help.
Thx!

I don't own anything this new, but can understand being stranded. Autozone can check for codes, that would be the first thing to check. Crankshaft position sensor is used for spark, could also be a broken wire or bad pcm.

Don't know about common since its not. Coil pack not getting power. Related fuses should be checked. Damaged shorting wires lead to it etc. No magic wand on that issue.

not a common problem with 4th gens but like tripplec mentioned check for power to the coil pack or check the crankshaft sensor and related ignition system fuses.

Back