• Register Today It's free!

2008 Explorer Transmission Bump

dacampora

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Explorer
Hello all, I'm new to the forum, as I just purchased a used 2008 Explorer XLT, 4.0 5-speed auto, 2WD.

I've found a few threads describing my issue, but I'm overall confused as to what is actually wrong, and what (if anything) needs to be repaired.

Mainly my issue is that when I come to a quick stop, I'd say about 50% braking or more from 45mph or more, never to the point where the ABS kicks in, though, the vehicle doesn't immediately GO when I reapply the accelerator.

I could come to a stop for an instant, or for up to a minute at a stoplight, and almost always, I will press the accelerator, the engine will rev up like the transmission is in neutral, but about 1-2 seconds later, the transmission kicks in - rather forcefully - and I chirp the tires and speed off.

There is also a slight (about 1 second) delay when shifting from park into reverse, or from drive into reverse. This may be unrelated.

I'm taking it in to the dealer to get the temperature blend actuator replaced within the next few days, under warranty. What would be the best way to describe this transmission kick to the service people? Is it even the transmission? Could be driveshaft, u-joints, rear gears, etc.

-David

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello all, I'm new to the forum, as I just purchased a used 2008 Explorer XLT, 4.0 5-speed auto, 2WD...<snip>.....
I could come to a stop for an instant, or for up to a minute at a stoplight, and almost always, I will press the accelerator, the engine will rev up like the transmission is in neutral, but about 1-2 seconds later, the transmission kicks in - rather forcefully - and I chirp the tires and speed off.
..<snip>......What would be the best way to describe this transmission kick to the service people? Is it even the transmission? Could be driveshaft, u-joints, rear gears, etc.

-David

Welcome to the forum.

Maybe one of the more knowledgeable will comment.

I would have the service technician test drive your vehicle and determine the best course of action.

The problem with selection of reverse from Park and Drive positions is called an "engagement" issue. The following are tha parameters that further define an engagement problem:

Diagnosis by Symptom Index 5R55S Routines
Engagement Concerns
No Forward in (D) Only 201A
No Forward Only (All Positions) 201B
No Reverse Only 202
Harsh Reverse Only 203
Harsh Forward Only 204A
Harsh Manual 1st Gear Only 204B
Delayed/Soft Reverse Only 205
Delayed/Soft Forward Only 206
No Forward and No Reverse 207
Harsh Forward and Harsh Reverse 208
Delayed Forward and Delayed Reverse 209

Your second problem may be related to the delayed and hard engagement of reverse if that condition also applied when the shift lever is moved from Park to Drive. If that engagement is OK, then the delayed engagement of first gear becomes a "shift" issue. Your 5R55 trans should shift to first when the vehicle comes to a stop, but may not and still be holding 2nd gear causing engine revs to rise and then the shift from 2nd to 1st occurs and the vehicle scoots away. There is apparently nothing in the diagnostics of shift concerns that describe your problem:

Diagnosis by Symptom Index 5R55S Routines
Shift Concerns
Some/All Shifts Missing (Automatic Mode Only) 210
Timing Concern
— Early/Late (Some/All) 211
— Erratic/Hunting (Some/All) 212
Feel Concerns
— Soft/Slipping (Some/All) 213
— Harsh (Some/All) 214
No 1st Gear in Drive, Engages in a Higher Gear 215
No 1st Gear in Manual 1st 216
No 2nd Gear In Manual 2 Position 217

You may be able to provide the tech with some info by doing two tests:

1. When you come to a stop after hard braking, have you tried selecting drive position 1 to manually select 1st gear and then drive off. What did this do?

2. When you come to a stop after hard braking, select drive position 2 to manually select 2nd gear and then drive off. Starting in 2nd gear will cause the engine to rev higher to get enough torque to move the vehicle and then it moves off smoothly but slowly.

Good luck.

You may be able to provide the tech with some info by doing two tests:

1. When you come to a stop after hard braking, have you tried selecting drive position 1 to manually select 1st gear and then drive off. What did this do?

2. When you come to a stop after hard braking, select drive position 2 to manually select 2nd gear and then drive off. Starting in 2nd gear will cause the engine to rev higher to get enough torque to move the vehicle and then it moves off smoothly but slowly.

The biggest problem here is I can't consistently reproduce the issue. It doesn't happen every single time. Or maybe when I'm testing it I'm just not going hard enough. Its a slippery slope, because I don't want to damage it further, but I need to be able to reproduce the issue in order for it to be repairable.

I'll try to run some more tests tomorrow.

Thanks

These transmissions are know for having issues with the solenoid packs. I had to have mine replaced at 52k due to harse shifting and a delay going into reverse. Luckely it was under warrenty. The Ford tech says he has seen quyite a few of these issues with this transmission.

Back