• Register Today It's free!

2008 explorer with 2010 motor?

Brettb72

Reaction score
City, State
Nashua new Hampshire
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer
Ok now I know this has been asked before as I've read all the posts. They are mostly old explorers putting mustang engines or v8. I know this engine uses the same tranny. I'm just a little scared about the intake, fuel rails, harness and pcm. Like I said I'm scared to pull the trigger on $2000. Will everything hook right up except the intake, basicly the top of the engine. If I can get a 2010 motor I can get one with 30 thousand on it.
My explorer:
2008 Eddie Bauer 4×4 vin:E
To a 2010 4×4 vin:E

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 4.6 from 06-08 were different from 09-10. You may have some issues . I had to buy a replacement motor for my 06, and 06-08 were the matching years.

Check the 8th digit of your car (should be 8) with the donor car's VIN.

Ouups, you want to replace your 4.0...., you should be fine. The v8 threw me off :)

Any 4.0l sohc will fit into the place of another 4.0sohc. You just need to strip the replacment to a long block and swap all the components from your original.

The 8th vin letter is E on both. So you thnik I shlouldnt use the newer intake, fuel rails and injectors. I should put all of my older intake. rails and injectors off my old engine and use those on the new engine? What do you think abount the PCM think ill need to change it to a 10 or keep my 08? Thanks for the advice guys for real thank you very muck.

Well I did some home work and looked up the ECU, ECM, PCM whatever you want to call it the plugs on both years are exactly the same. So I know the tranny will bolt up i know the PCM will plug in hopefully the firmware for the 08 will run the 10 engine. Now i need to figure out the intake and fuel rails

Back