• Register Today It's free!

2008 explorer wont engage gears

R_burke

Reaction score
City, State
Ball ground,Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 explorer
I have a 2008 explorer 2wd automatic with 4.0.... i can move the shifter into any position and it doesnt engage the gears. It acts as if its in neutral no matter which position the shifter is in.

No check engine light or wrench light

Checked under vehicle to make sure the cable was still intact and moving the linkage in the transmission and as far as i can tell everything looks normal.

No prior issues with shifting... drove fine all day parked it went to leave a couple hours later and this happened please help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its a sealed 5r55s - i dont have a way of accurately checking the temp but i let it run for 20-25mins and opened the overflow it dribbled out from the research ive done this seems to be right for the proper level

What am i looking for?

You want to check the fluid color, smell it, and look for metal shavings in the pan on the magnet. It's weird you lost all gears. When my 5r55 was bad, I still had 1,2 and 3, no 4 5 and reverse (judging by the sound and shifts when I drove it home).
Maybe the pump ?

I found it odd too usually you lose certain gears like you said not all of them... im stumped

Very well could be - didnt think of this... was terrified it was my transmission... is there a way to check this to see if its working

It still could be anything, but that part can be removed easily. Not an expert, but I would make sure that the motion from the cable is transferred into the output shaft going into transmission ( I think that's how it works:)).
Remove it and see if you can rotate by hand.

Hi
@ R_burke did you sort out the problem of no geraing at all ?

I have a 2008 explorer 2wd automatic with 4.0.... i can move the shifter into any position and it doesnt engage the gears. It acts as if its in neutral no matter which position the shifter is in.

No check engine light or wrench light

Checked under vehicle to make sure the cable was still intact and moving the linkage in the transmission and as far as i can tell everything looks normal.

No prior issues with shifting... drove fine all day parked it went to leave a couple hours later and this happened please help!

hey man did you ever figure out what the problem is ? I’m having the same problem right now and no one knows what it is

Back